When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peugeot Comete Aluminum Bike Mavic Equipped

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ripet

On Training Wheels
I am trying to find info on the Peugeot Comete full aluminum bike. My friend used to race this bike around 1978. I have heard the bike was recalled around the time Peugeot pulled out of the US Market. These bikes were supposed to be destroyed to avoid future liability. I am not sure if they were ever recalled in European markets? I have one fully equipped with Mavic Components. Does anyone have an interest in this bike or have information on 1) value 2) is it safe 3) is this just a "wall hanger"?

Ripet-

The Peugeot Comete and Galaxie were identical frames. The Comete had a French gruppo and the Galaxie was Shimano equipped. The frames used a patented Pechiney mechanical press fit to attach the 5086 tubes into the aluminum lugs. The tubing was standard 28 mm in diameter and made into a sub-20 lb. frame.
There were examples of the tube’s joints failing and the bikes were withdrawn and scrapped in both Europe and America, I believe. Failure was not catastrophic (I think), the tubes loosened in the joints but did not separate.

I would think a cautious ride would not be dangerous but wall art would probably be more discreet. Value would depend on the right buyer and your local market. Probably parting out the Mavic components would yield much more than selling the whole bike. I have a catalogue entry which I will scan for you, should you wish it.

Jim

this might help. I just googled 1978 Peugeot Comete and wala!
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80601

I had a 77 or 8 back in the day myself. But me tinks I didn't opt fer da spencive one.

scan0010jpg-1.jpg

scan0008jpg-1.jpg

scan0009jpg-1.jpg

scan0007jpg-1.jpg

scan0034jpg-1.jpg

That catalog page is from ~1987, so Comete cannot be from -78. Peugeot had aluminium race bike from Vitus 979 late seventies. PY10-DU

Ripet, I have one of these. I acquired it in my mid teens for around £400 GBP and it was 87/88, so not quite sure where your 1978 came from!
I am only around 140lbs so the frame was not under any particular strain and I can't recall hitting any serious potholes. I dusted the bike off recently from where it has been hanging up for roughly 20 years! Frame is in excellent condition and the aluminium joints and forks always polish up great to a high sheen. In the last 80's I added a full 105 groupset. I added lately some modern 105 shifters and I am about to do a full refurb with some new parts. Do you have any info on decals? I saw some on eBay recently but the colour doesn't look quite correct. The tubing itself is a little scratched and I would like to do something about that, I think it is brushed aluminium but not quite sure. I struggled to find a 24mm aluminium seat post but managed to squeeze a shimano 600 post in somehow. I'll probably have the wheels re-spoked and have the rims polished, mine are holding mavic velotech (original spec). I went for a more modern front stem. The chains I have is quite aggressive, running a six speed on the back and a 41-52 on the front, making for tough climbing.

Anyhow, being a couple of kilos heaver than a modern carbon frame the bike is nicely planted on the road and gives a very smooth ride indeed. I'll post up the photos when I've completed the refurb.

I had a Peugeot Cosmic which I believe was the model below the Comete I sold the bike for $250 to a former Peugeot rep who was gonna use it as a wall hanger.

v1.png
v2.png
v3.png
Can anyone help me find a Velotech by Mavic front wheel for a 1986 Peugeot Galaxie? I ran over it with my car and need to replace it. HELP!

Back