When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peugeot PX-10...just picked it up!

-
Fred- You’re killing me! One trick that Roger taught me is to look on the backside of the Simplex Prestige RD where there should be month and year date code. Also per Roger that is an oak plug in the fork. If you ever decide to part with this one or the blue one...
Steve

Hi Steve @slowride

Yeah, it's all or nothing with me finding bikes! And this one was less than 2 miles from my house!! (And I forgot that Roger showed me where to look for the dates. Duh!)

The white one is way to small for me, so I'll have to see if I keep it or not in the Collection. The Blue one was my late brother-in-laws...the bike that started this obsession with bikes for the past 30 years, so this will always be a keeper. I did an entire Post on the bike yesterday, so please check it out.

Fred :)

Cleaning/detailing continues!

Now I see that I need to vacuum the floor and put the hair dryer away. And I had a garbage pail under the bike! Sheesh!!

IMG_0622.jpeg

-----

last year for this model of Juy quick release skewer was 1971. if they were using up old stock suppose it could be a 1972 model cycle.

pedals are Lyotard model 45CA

model 93 chainset is late type or "G2". 1972 was transition year from early type to late type so cycle likely a 1972 model.

this image shows the difference. distal end of crank arm had a prominent chamfer at its 1967 launch. this was revised during 1972 to put more material around the pedal hole. change made to solve problem of radial cracks from pedal hole.

the drive side arm here is early type and the non-drive side arm is late type -

-----

Last edited:
@juvela Once again, thank you for the info!! I should be keeping a Logbook... :)

Also, I just read that Nervex stopped using the fancy lugs after 1971. 1972 became very the plain ones.

Last edited:
-----

forgot to mention another helpful date bracketing fitting -

the machine's Normandy Luxe Competition hubs are Mk.III/G3 (or Mk.IV/G4 depending on how one counts)
and their final year was 1972. for 1973 a new generation launched which has red labels and red plastic dustcaps. however, do not think the PX employed them as 1973 was also the launch year for the Maillard model 700 hub, which the PX and PY series models did receive.

advert of July 1973 -

-----

‘71 US catalog shown. Nice job taking reflective tape off! I had a ‘72 but upon closer inspection (eagle eye Roger) ended up it was crashed and had bent fork; As slightly too big did not repair and instead sold at a loss as I give full disclosure. Live and learn.

014E8DD5-532E-40A4-8098-84F0C934EF7B.jpeg

‘71 US catalog shown. Nice job taking reflective tape off! I had a ‘72 but upon closer inspection (eagle eye Roger) ended up it was crashed and had bent fork; As slightly too big did not repair and instead sold at a loss as I give full disclosure. Live and learn.

View attachment 1304115

Thanks Steve!
And I see that the brake levers in the Catalog photo have the rubberized pieces on the grips. I have a pair or two with them on, so maybe I'll swap them out. Also, turns out the original front derailleur I was given is broken (typical Simplex), but I have one from an older U08 I'll probably wind up using.

Wish the frame would have been the 25'' one...

Thanks Steve!
And I see that the brake levers in the Catalog photo have the rubberized pieces on the grips. I have a pair or two with them on, so maybe I'll swap them out. Also, turns out the original front derailleur I was given is broken (typical Simplex), but I have one from an older U08 I'll probably wind up using.

Wish the frame would have been the 25'' one...
Some interesting history behind those DuPont delrin (acetal) derailleurs. I understand the material is strong under compression but not in tension which is in effect what it is in clamp area if FD. I believe Simplex was using delrin starting in 1962. Surprised they had not discovered these issues by early 70’s. Would love to hear from those of you “that were there.”

Back