When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peugeot UO-8...I Think...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice bike Harpo! And one with history 😉. I’m sure it’s been discussed before but does anyone have experience with these steel Rigida rims with grooved braking area and how they compare with standard smooth steel rims? I would think these grooves would help in the rain as it would give the water somewhere to go. Same concept as tires with tread vs slicks ? Why did nobody else copy if it worked?

-----

from the perspective of wheel work have a preference for the competing SAMIR SAMINOX french steel rims

lighter

more accurate at the weld (no pointyness) or mis-registration

easier to true originally and subsequently

used RIGIDA SUPERCHROMIX wheels are difficult to true

---

braking -

although the RIGIDA is offered without serration this form is fairly rare to encounter in the field

have only ever seen the SAMIR with serration; AFAIK not used in an unserrated form

serrations differ, RIGIDA has the coarse chevron/zigzag pattern and SAMIR uses a fine pattern of diamond shaped recesses

although RIGIDA also offers a fine serration pattern it is less common to encounter than the coarse one on the subject cycle

AFAIK SAMIR produces no alloy rim models; at least have never encountered one

-----

Last edited:
OK, all done. Very happy with the way it turned out, and I might add a Pletscher rear rack like the one my friend had on it when he used it (which will cover up the scratches where it was).Thankfully I had the front derailleur, but I haven't set it up...afraid I'll crack it!! It will be used as display only anyway along with my late brother-in-laws PX-10. 😜

ENJOY THE PHOTOS! 😎

IMG_2308.jpeg

IMG_2309.jpeg

IMG_2310.jpeg

IMG_2311.jpeg

IMG_2314.jpeg

IMG_2323.jpeg

IMG_2324.jpeg

IMG_2325.jpeg

IMG_2326.jpeg

IMG_2328.jpeg

IMG_2330.jpeg

IMG_2333.jpeg

IMG_2334.jpeg

IMG_2335.jpeg

IMG_2336.jpeg

IMG_2339.jpeg

-----

thank you

have not before seen a Peugeot bottom bracket spindle with these markings, or similar

two possibilities come to mind -

a) something done for a short time only, small batch

b) spindle is a replacement

-----

He told me nothing had been replaced on the bike (but I guess the Gnutti QR skewer was) that he could remember. A spindle you would remember! 😎

Could the 49/40 be an assembly/ error proofing aide in order to visually confirm the spindle inserted correctly?

I have almost the identical bike. I think yours is a 1973, my bike is a 1971, and has a headbadge, not a sticker.
Mine still has the Leotard pedals and Mafac brakes, but, a bunch of the other stuff has been replaced. Alloy wheels, Suntour AR derailleurs (the Simplex were sunburned!) and some other alloy bits. You can improve the Simplex shifters, dramatically, by taking them apart, scuffing and cleaning the metal outer cover and the plastic shifter handle, and epoxying them together. Much improved stiffness, and nobody knows it has been done.
I have a Gyes Brooks saddle copy on my bike, mine was pieced together, and I think most of the parts I replaced were pretty low end entry level bike stuff, the bike is a joy to ride now. I had a bent fork that caused me huge issues, as it was bent up on one side of the brake hole drilling, weirdest thing I have ever seen, and a bugger to diagnose. About 3/16ths difference between the length of the legs, and it made it miserable to ride. A Tange fork and headset off a Schwinn Traveler bolted right on, and I never looked back.
Haven’t rode it in a while, should have thrown it away, in hindsight, but, some bikes just get rescued.

Ted

Back