When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom cycelock

-

chevbel57

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to remove a cycelock. The key was stuck and I took it to local lock smith and I think he made it worse by drilling the key. To make long story short the key is still stuck. Does any one have any ideas or tricks. Someone told me to pop out the dust cover to gain access but man is that stuck on. Thanks

Hey Chevbel57 , nice car if you have one. Made the same mistake. He made it worse and still charge me 25 bucks and had a real attitude that I did not care for . Your cylinder is now ruined. You are correct the pot metal plug in the fork bottom will pop out. Drill hole . 3/16 " about 3/8 " in on center from the edge.
then use a punch or thin screwdriver blade to put in this hole and pry out. Someone here on the Cabe may have a different way but this plug is soft metal and it may crack if you start wacking a screwdriver blade under it .
Since your cylinder is ruined yours wont matter now, but when you drill this hole go easy as the drill bit suddenly shoving thru could hit the cylinder and damage it.
After its off you will have to clean the years of crud out and you will see the cylinder. there is a small thin brass tab on the end of the cylinder . when pressed on the end it will slide in and the cylinder will slide out. Depending on the position of the cylinder in your fork [locked or open] you may have to turn [rotate] the cylinder to see this small tab. I am assuming you have the fork off already. The cylinder will turn by pressing the locking bolt in while turning the cylinder with the broken key end in it. Being yours has been damaged by drilling it you may have to play with it .....:( call or p.m. Wes Pinchot here on the CABE he has
replacement keys, cylinders, and he can fix anything on a Schwinn. If you look in the Restoration thread there should be a diagram depicting all this. :)

Just remembered one other thing; that little hole you are going to drill should be drilled towards the front side [spring side]of the fork to avoid hitting the cylinder with the drill bit. good luck!

Hey Thanks for the info. Does it make a difference if I can still turn the key. I opens and closes the pin with no problem. It seems as if he just drilled the key not the cylinder.

That will make getting it out easy. just push that little brass tab completely in and slid[pull] cylinder out.
There are numbers on the cylinder face [A N ###] that is the correct key code but best to replace the cylinder if it has been messed with. Sometimes a new key may not work well if the pins have been damaged by a previous owner[a kid] shoving something in there in place of a key. It is easy to slide the broken end of a key out of the cylinder once the cylinder is out of the fork tube.

Thanks again by the way I do have a 1957 chevy bel air 2 dr hardtop. I am going to try what you said and I'll let you know how it works out.

Back