When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom knock off

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cutlassjim

On Training Wheels
Hey fellas, first post since I bought my Firestone a few year ago. Knowing all of the knowledge there is in this group I was hoping you all can give me some info on my latest find. I bought this Phantom knock off from Markerplace yesterday and can’t find out much online about it. It looked really rough when I got it but it was coated with oil and cleaned up very nicely. Any info is appreciated. I can’t find anything online about USA Replicas. This bike was built very well. No mention of Schwinn anywhere. Nfs

046289DB-EE4B-4FD9-9F75-A3AC25ADE1ED.jpeg

3E7BFF59-4B67-4E75-840E-04F6A4FA2EB0.jpeg

126FC704-4F3D-41E3-B436-E488B7A52F72.jpeg

3C1C70E7-A347-4FB4-A711-30B42A833015.jpeg

Nothing Schwinn about it. Why with so many Phantoms around would someone build cheap replicas? That's just crazy. Maple Island Special? TaiwanSchwinn dumped out a new load of Phantoms in 2020 for $500 a pop. That undoubtedly was built by an individual, not a company. Used spoke nipples?

I think someone just put a bike together that has the appearance of a Phantom. Not everyone is trying to scam someone. It is what it is and probably a nice riding bike. I can appreciate that. Those Taiwan dumped 2020's by Wal-Mart are now bringing over $1K, now that's insane.

The address on the label is home to Reim Roofing and Metal construction, maybe it was a bike shop, maybe someone just decided to build a replica in their spare time.

I've been going thru some old threads looking some of the Replica Schwinn frames that have shown up here over the years to see if they match up to your Replica frame. I really can't tell if they do match up, I can't see all the details on your frame. For a second I had the thought that maybe it was a Hungarian Schwinn frame that Schwinn possibly had imported for warranty replacements during the late 80's. The welds are very similar but can't say if yours or the others that were being sold are Hungarian Schwinn made. It's also possible that frame was sold by Maple Island during early 90's or earlier. My thought is your bike was assembled by an individual and not some small time manufacturer. Here's the frames that were being sold by 1938airflow. See if your frame details match up.

1662392603286.png

1662392623305.png

1662392648008.png

1662392685192.png

1662392741472.png

Here is 1938airflow's for sale listing. There was another member here looking for information on his frame and it had a serial number on the BB. Very similar to these frames.

Last edited:
The cool thing to me about the builder is that they admitted that it's a replica. It seems every Chevelle is a Super Sport these days. I've got a love/hate view of repops
Don't know your view, but if it were mine,I'd ride the hell out of it. You'd see me jumping curbs, you name it. It's a violation of ridden not hidden, but if I had something like say a Elgin Skylark, I'd be afraid to mess it up. I already do that with my 61? AMF Roadmaster Skyrider. It's not a super valued or super mint bicycle. It rides fantastic, but I almost never ride it.

Back