When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Light Issue

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Hammer

Finally riding a big boys bike
Alright guys I have a problem here I cleaned the contacts new bulb fresh batteries and nothing when I flip the switch, do I have a bad switch maybe? I just cleaned a rusted corroded and nasty batwing light and got it working like a charm but not this one on the Phantom, I can make it work by grounding it off the back of the light to the fender but it wont work using the switch, I figure one of the experts here have ran across this, this is my first Schwinn light so I'm a little in the dark on them, get it? Any way I usually can get any light to work I about an hour but not this one, I can force it to work by grounding it out on the fender, that's why I'm leaning towards it being a switch, but I could be wrong, i took alot of pics so you guys can have a look at what I am seeing, any help? As always I appreciate it in advance!

Aaron

20180608_182342.jpg

20180608_182354.jpg

20180608_182423.jpg

20180608_182438.jpg

20180608_182456.jpg

20180608_182610.jpg

20180608_182628.jpg

Hammer, I own a couple of original phantoms (not bragging) I'm only
mentioning it because I like Schwinns.
But after years of messing with them I believe the light switch is not very reliable.
That said, have you checked the switch
on & off ?

How do you check that @2jakes? I can ground the light on the back of the contact to the fender and it'll pop right on, but the switch wont work it, the little tab that holds the wire on the switch in the middle on the contact broke off, but it still should work as long as it is in contact with the back, I may just need to get a new battery tray and a switch

Thanks!
Aaron

How do you check that @2jakes? I can ground the light on the back of the contact to the fender and it'll pop right on, but the switch wont work it, the little tab that holds the wire on the switch in the middle on the contact broke off, but it still should work as long as it is in contact with the back, I may just need to get a new battery tray and a switch

Thanks!
Aaron

The arrow pointing to the contact point.
Do you have fine sand paper which you can gently remove any dirt buildup to allow contact. I'm not saying this is the problem but I hope it is and can be resolved. Good luck pal!

IMG_5937.jpg

Last edited:
The arrow pointing to the contact point.
Do you have fine sand paper which you can gently remove any dirt buildup to allow contact. I'm not saying this is the problem but I hope it is and can be resolved. Good luck pal!

View attachment 820882

The top connection in my pics where the wire and wire protector is? Or the bottom? I may have had the switch in backwards but it still wouldnt turn on regardless

Thanks again! If this dont work I'll just go all American on it and start throwing money at it and see what that does for it!

Aaron

20180608_202045.jpg

20180608_202136.jpg

20180608_202148.jpg

The top connection in my pics where the wire and wire protector is? Or the bottom? I may have had the switch in backwards but it still wouldnt turn on regardless

Thanks again! If this dont work I'll just go all American on it and start throwing money at it and see what that does for it!

Aaron

View attachment 820899

View attachment 820900

View attachment 820901

The wires are frayed and all are not making contact. Do you have enough length main line to open, remove the rusted ones and solder all of the ones in better condition to the switch?
Or perhaps it would be simpler to replace the wire?

I have some new wire, I'll try to strip and reuse this one and resolder it, you think that's my problem?

Aaron

I have some new wire, I'll try to strip and reuse this one and resolder it, you think that's my problem?

Aaron

It’s difficult to tell . But if you got it to work then as you know, there's some area
that is not making contact. The trick is finding out where it is. I love Schwinn, but the fenderlight
can be
Scared_Mickey_Mouse.jpg
at best! :D

Last edited:
Alright guys I have a problem here I cleaned the contacts new bulb fresh batteries and nothing when I flip the switch, do I have a bad switch maybe? I just cleaned a rusted corroded and nasty batwing light and got it working like a charm but not this one on the Phantom, I can make it work by grounding it off the back of the light to the fender but it wont work using the switch, I figure one of the experts here have ran across this, this is my first Schwinn light so I'm a little in the dark on them, get it? Any way I usually can get any light to work I about an hour but not this one, I can force it to work by grounding it out on the fender, that's why I'm leaning towards it being a switch, but I could be wrong, i took alot of pics so you guys can have a look at what I am seeing, any help? As always I appreciate it in advance!

Aaron

Aaron, I don't know what your grounding to the fender; you must start @ A and go to Z to find the open, with out missing a space, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Your battery + connection touches the bulb B+ directly, and what you described does tell me your good there. Let's work on the '-' circuit. One end of your jumper wire touching the spring curl that touches battery '-' and the other end touching the outside of bulb socket (where bulb is screwed into the socket)… lamp works? if so you have good joint between spring curl and battery; and, also between bulb and holder. We will then continue with our jumper touching the spring curl for several steps, and we will place the other end of the jumper on the vertical piece of steel that holds the bulb socket (don't touch the socket). Do we still get a light? If so, then move 'the other end' of jumper to the rivet that holds the vertical piece of steel that supports lamp socket to the battery holder. Got a light? Touch 'the other end' to the side of the battery holder? Got a light? Touch 'the other end' to the inner pan of the fender. Got a light?

Do these and message me back. When all of these above work, then we must do checks with our jumper from the spring curl thru the insulator (fiber washer) to the clip where switch wire goes; and, our fixed jumper position will be the light bulb socket. We will check the spring curl rivet that the switch wire clip connects to; We will check the clip that switch wire connects to.

When all these work, answer back, & we will work on our switch... pappy

Back