When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Mutation

-

5760rj

I live for the CABE
over the next several weeks I will be posting and in photos, my attempt in using extra bicycle parts to assemble a rideable custom schwinn phantom, after looking at the amazing and fabricated beautiful custom bikes on this site I'll tell ya up front this wont be anything of excitement or astonishing just the combination of different parts, I am not a fabricator in sheet metal, no plating experience and without a shop to build in, but I have accumulated alot of different parts, from everywhere along with the frustrations of not bidding high enough, seller raising his asking price, listed item disappears or what is received was not what was pictured, visiting recycling centers, wrecking yards, second hand stores, goodwill, salvation army on a regular basis for bike parts or bicycles for parts I've learned to ignore the comments from the employees like vampire or bike addict and stay focused, begging has crossed my mind at times at swapmeets when I had to go use the ATM and on my way back passed my deal being carried out by some kid that will spray can it to death before junking it, ah crap. where I live there are trucks with panels on the sides that allow stacking so high that I'm surprised they clear the underpasses stacked with bicycles going to Mexico. I have seen a phantom with tank, no bars, seat or rims, as well as a JC Higgins with colorflow rack and fenders, no rims or seat heading to the border, my heart drops seeing vintage bicycles stack on top of each other in this way, my project will consist of schwinn, jc higgins, monark silver king, mid 40s buick roadmaster, 50s studebaker, harley davidson, radsonne, and a little bit of Taiwan, ha ha ha, but really, photos coming soon...

I have posted the first items coming back from being rechromed, I have added a propeller, that I bought still in the box, by turning down a grade 8 bolt and having it threaded for the springer brace and propeller, box is interesting as well, used in hot rods and studebakers
20171004_203321.jpg
20171004_203344.jpg
20171004_203934.jpg
20171004_204349.jpg
20171004_204450.jpg
20171004_204508.jpg
20171004_205526.jpg
20171004_205626.jpg

off to the fabricators, a JC Higgins colorflow rack, with the different variations I felt this would give a cleaner appearance than the other that extends and connectes to the back of the seat post, I chose this rack because of the rear design having two red reflectors and a wide side profile and its just so 50s, what I am doing has no approval from collectors, restorers, purest and those that hold most high NOS in the box, in my last post, I posted a Lundberg Propeller with box, for those that drove the 50s studebaker like the commander or flew the P-38 Lightning, you know what im talking about, designer's (car industry) were combining the two together and came up with clever idea's like the propeller, well here's another sin, Buick rear fender reflectors in box available in 1942-48 these items are extremely hard to find and used in classic, hot rod or custom cars and now in Bicycles. the higgins rack will have a hidden bracket that will raise it enough for fender clearance and for reflector to be centered in the side of the rack and secured and will be more forward because the rack has a tapper towards the rear, and the reflector housing is almost the width of the higgins side dimensions, still working on the hi-torque motor that will be mounted on the rack behind the seat which will operate a 1958 Harley Davidson police siren...more to come
20171007_210943.jpg
20171007_210919.jpg
20171007_210631.jpg
20171007_210612.jpg

Looks like you're off to a good start and aren't cheaping out. I like where this is going, and you've got my attention. Anxious to see what you come up with.

off to the fabricators, a JC Higgins colorflow rack, with the different variations I felt this would give a cleaner appearance than the other that extends and connected to the back of the seat post, I chose this rack because of the rear design having two red reflectors and a wide side profile and its just so 50s, what I am doing has no approval from collectors, restorers, purest and those that hold most high NOS in the box, in my last post, I posted a Lundberg Propeller with box, for those that drove the 50s studebaker like the commander or flew the P-38 Lightning, you know what im talking about, designer's (car industry) were combining the two together and came up with clever idea's like the propeller, well here's another sin, Buick rear fender reflectors in box available in 1942-48 these items are extremely hard to find and used in classic, hot rod or custom cars and now in Bicycles. the higgins rack will have a hidden bracket that will raise it enough for fender clearance and for reflector to be centered in the side of the rack and secured and will be more forward because the rack has a tapper towards the rear, and the reflector housing is almost the width of the higgins side dimensions, still working on the hi-torque motor that will be mounted on the rack behind the seat which will operate a 1958 Harley Davidson police siren...more to comeView attachment 688728 View attachment 688729 View attachment 688730 View attachment 688731
I thought I would share whats gone on since my last blog, at this time this is whats happened to my project, the jc higgins rear rack I sent to the fabricator was turned into a pancake by a hydraulic press by an employee that set it down on a platform where they press aluminum sheets into custom shapes for large fuel tanks, luckily the reflectors were not fitted into the rack at the time but they were nice enough to return the item to me in a walmart shopping bag, we exchanged a few more personal thoughts on the accident, idiot. surprised I wasnt charged 50 cents for the bag, chroming on the chain guard came out beautifully but the dents were left in and I was told that there guy that did metal work as such before the chroming was arrested for possession of a controlled substance, Really I said and you chromed it anyway, can I talk to your manager this was not our arrangement, sorry you can't he was the one arrested, so now it will have to be made right and rechromed else where, bike shop lacing my front hoop with a schwinn expansion drum brake lost my clevis and can't find it, oh did I forgot to mention that the hoop that was used was not mine! I have original S2 chromed and I dont have a clue what or where he found that swapmeet special but it wasn't what I brought in, I left there with my rim that was in the corner and drum brake, idiot. at this time I would like to thank those members who have added to my compulsive buying of bicycle parts which has really turned my project around and up grading it into one that I might of not been able to do without there late night positings of sale items, lol but I really mean it, Im hooked on reading and seeing posted photos of bicycles and parts before and after as well as barn finds and stuff I never had a clue existed, well I see that it's after midnight and I haven't checked for new listings yet so until then...............

Back