When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Pod Light Part

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

KevinsBikes

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I found these little cylinders which looked like a small bullet, and realized today this is the little part which is nested under the battery tray of rear rack light.

Is this some sort of small detection for stopping/going which completes the circuit on the light? It sounds like a small ball is inside.

4A1B4345-5882-4843-B86D-83388B6CDF46.jpeg

I found these little cylinders which looked like a small bullet, and realized today this is the little part which is nested under the battery tray of rear rack light.

Is this some sort of small detection for stopping/going which completes the circuit on the light? It sounds like a small ball is inside.

View attachment 1415729
If it is indeed for a brake light then it would seem to make sense. Otherwise how would the light know to come on when you push the brakes? Kinda works the way the old Mercury thermostats did when you used to have them; red Mercury in outdoor units expanded with heat & then the silver in indoor units would trigger once it was tilted on a contact point

Yeah, I honestly didn’t know if the light was always on or a brake light. Makes total sense.

I figured these don’t really wear out - so it was odd to find them in a parts bin.

Yeah, I honestly didn’t know if the light was always on or a brake light. Makes total sense.

I figured these don’t really wear out - so it was odd to find them in a parts bin.
If it moves or rattles around inside; I don't know for sure but guess it's either a brake light or defective if it was supposed to stay on. Maybe someone will clarify for both of us with certainty

from what i remember the early schwinn tail light used an inertia switch to activate the brake light...is this that?...dunno...
somewhere down the road they changed the design to use the delta hub switch

1621610336880.png

I thought the Delta hub switch came first then the inertia switch (ball). I don't believe those are for a Schwinn light but could be wrong. V/r Shawn

Inertia was the word that was slipping my mind. I can't say as I don't own or ever owned a Schwinn that old but were they prone to failing?

I thought the Delta hub switch came first then the inertia switch (ball). I don't believe those are for a Schwinn light but could be wrong. V/r Shawn

very well could be, now that you mention it.
there's a foggy memory of some nos carriers i had complete with taillight, they had the ball bearing switch, and do believe they were the later manufacture.
guess i had the switch switch switched

Here is a photo of one in the pod light:

I also have some of those clips posted here, must have just been to fix up some old lights when they came in broken.

96FC2F1C-AB45-4D65-AB7D-3E2BBA26FC8E.jpeg

851572DF-7BE7-47F1-A4FB-CB50317C0480.jpeg

2C127C33-0626-4F47-972D-AAE89E0AB798.jpeg

9D54C014-13DB-4BA7-9379-DFB315349517.jpeg

Back