When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Reference Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Because I removed the paint. It was black when I got. I thought I could do an acid bath, but that doesn’t work on paint. As I was removing the paint I saw the paint design on the frame and Black Phantom on the chain guard. I didn’t have the patience to strip it.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on when the chain ring was changed from the 52 tooth Autocycle style ring to the 46 tooth clover ring (boys bikes). I have a '55 with the 52T but it has the optional (for '55) locking fork and lit rack. I've seen other '55s without the locking fork and they have the 46T. I believe '55 may have been a transition year for the chain ring but by '56 all Phantoms used the 46T. Thoughts?

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on when the chain ring was changed from the 52 tooth Autocycle style ring to the 46 tooth clover ring (boys bikes). I have a '55 with the 52T but it has the optional (for '55) locking fork and lit rack. I've seen other '55s without the locking fork and they have the 46T. I believe '55 may have been a transition year for the chain ring but by '56 all Phantoms used the 46T. Thoughts?
Would it be in the Schwinn Reporter?

80F51566-EBB3-4025-BCEE-B6729B379145.jpeg

20426999-C6E0-4E42-B5BB-593324E87021.jpeg

Not a Phantom but my original 55 Spitfire ( been in the family sense new! ) came og with the smaller 46 clover ring but catalog pics I've seen have the 52 AC style so probably came both ways.

Last edited:
@YenkoStingerMaxx re: "Does anyone know about the different reflectors that came on these bikes and which one is absolutely correct?" The answer is "it depends". It really depends on the year and even then there may be more than one right answer.

I think you are only looking at one half of the issue. I'd bet that the change "back and forth" from the 52 to the 46 tooth chainwheel was accompanied by at least a one, or two tooth change on the rear sprockets to keep the gear ratio the same. The transition in chain wheels could have been a supply issue due to shortages in either front or rear sprocket sizes. The 46 tooth chainwheels were likely easy to substitute since they were being used on so many other models.

Remember, they purchased the chains by the roll for factory production, and somebody had to actually cut the chains to length for each model (and chainwheel size). Every change causes more issues. They would not have made any component changes without a good reason because it just complicates things for a production factory.

John

Back