When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pick this up yesterday

-
They're still an excellent 'value' bike - you're not going to do better than a garage sale Varsity if all it needs is clean, lube, tires/tubes/brake pads. They're heavy and sort of 'boring' by many standards, but they do work and ride reasonably well for a very good price.

I love them .The value is in the longevity and how rugged they are.They last and still look good after 40+ years. Nothing made today will even come close for the same price given inflation that these were purchased for. Most Wal Mart bikes are lucky to last 4 years at most .

The only reason they aren't worth much is that Schwinn made umpteen million of them. But if you want a bike to ride, they're better value for the money than anything at Wal-Mart. I picked these up not long ago for $20.00 each. They were on Craigslist and I was evidently the only one who took the trouble to go look at them. They were originally from Mack Cycle in Miami and it looks like they've been together since new.The camelback is probably too short for me but the woman's bike will come in handy when I'm wearing my kilt.

View attachment 447208

View attachment 447209

View attachment 447210

View attachment 447221
I know the words rare and varsity don't mix much,but I have to say the humpback in chestnut is the only one I've seen.

I know the words rare and varsity don't mix much,but I have to say the humpback in chestnut is the only one I've seen.
I have to agree, the humpback/camelback Varsities in general seem to be relatively rare. To be honest, that's the main reason I went to look.

i always wanted a real 10 speed bike as a boy i had a schwinn traveler 3 speed with a three cog cyclo kit installed by my schwinn dealer when it was just a couple of years old ,it worked flawlessly and sufficed for several years until i got a new green continental

i always wanted a real 10 speed bike as a boy i had a schwinn traveler 3 speed with a three cog cyclo kit installed by my schwinn dealer when it was just a couple of years old ,it worked flawlessly and sufficed for several years until i got a new green continental
Have you got any pictures? Those Cyclo kits seem to be pretty rare.

Have my original Sierra brown varsity.I also have my wife's from 1969.Varsity's are Not the best bikes ever built and are pretty worthless but i wont ever sell those two.

Have my original Sierra brown varsity.I also have my wife's from 1969.Varsity's are Not the best bikes ever built and are pretty worthless but i wont ever sell those two.
Varsities are like Model T Fords. They probably won't ever be collectible in our lifetimes but maybe they'll be collectible by 2070, when collectors aren't zipping around on their carbon fiber energy-neutral mag-lev fly-by-wire made-by-robots bicycle-analogous devices.

Varsities are like Model T Fords. They probably won't ever be collectible in our lifetimes but maybe they'll be collectible by 2070, when collectors aren't zipping around on their carbon fiber energy-neutral mag-lev fly-by-wire made-by-robots bicycle-analogous devices.
yup,steel frames ride much nicer than carbon fiber.

Back