When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked this up recently and could use some help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bobtsunam

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I picked this bike up in a trade for services deal a few weeks ago. There is no tag and no visible numbers anywhere on the bike. I don't know a lot about bikes but I was able to find out little bits of information. Pretty sure it's a Schwinn based on the "A new departure" stamped on the arm of the rear hub. From the pictures I've come across I'm lead to believe it's a "World Bike"? Early 1900's?

I have no idea how to date the bike or where to look for other identifying marks that may lead me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

20150108_170459.jpg
20150108_170714.jpg
20150108_170651.jpg
20150108_170627.jpg
20150108_170552.jpg
20150108_170528.jpg
20150108_170512.jpg
20150108_170507.jpg
20150108_170504.jpg
20150108_170727.jpg

I don't know a thing about it but that tank, seat and light are sooooo cool! Great find, hold on to that one.

Nice!!!!

To Me,,,,It's a Mid 1920s Type of Bike!!!!

No Badge???? There has to be a Hole or Two!!!!!

Good Luck!

That's definitely a keeper. On pg.6 of the Sprocket compilation thread under general bicycle discussion, Tailhole posted a photo of the same unk. sprocket & never got an answer. Good luck w/ it. Rear fender shouldn't be too hard to find.

I actually have the other fender but it is loose as the supports popped off the frame so they have to be resoldered/brazed back on. I was pretty amazed the guy wanted to offer the bike up in trade. I don't think he knew what he had. Is it better to leave the bikes in the condition they are to retain value or should I have the things repaired on it that are broken? Like the wiring and battery for the 6 volt light and supports for the fender that attach to the frame? And how would I tell if the paint is original or not. It's enamel, I know that much. Didn't notice any primer underneath it at the spots where the paint had been chipped. And the condition of the metal leads me to believe there hasn't been any rework done. (At least not recently.

Hope someone that knows something about these bikes runs across this thread. I would really like to know the value of the bike as I am not a collector and took a huge gamble on this trade when i did the work.

Nice!!!!

To Me,,,,It's a Mid 1920s Type of Bike!!!!

No Badge???? There has to be a Hole or Two!!!!!

Good Luck!

Yeah from the little I was able to dig up about the bike, the frame was used by another company, prior to Schwinn buying them out, (Henderson or something like that) and was in production from 1889? - 1927 or so? I only saw that info once so I don't know how valid it is...

Me too, wasting data here, I no Nothink bout that bike save two.. ya it looks like somebody already "restored it", and likely way off base, but I wouldn't mess with it now, leave as is..

But the main reason reply is to say, Dang I'm liking the fart hole invention on the seat!. made for buffalo farts too!

Last edited:
bobtsunam ... that fork looks very-Shelby to me.

The frame .. if it were a Shelby would have head-cups
that are fairly-flush with the width of the head-tube ...
and .. if a Shelby .. the seat-stays would be ''pinched-in"
above the fender-bridge. This machine may have been
constructed from parts of the day -- that looked kool.

That saddle and lamp ... well .. am lost for words.

Interesting 'slot-style' opening to tool-box tank. Never
have seen this style before.

Can you get fotos of how the undertank bar is attached
to the frame ?

You are very-fortunate to have found this ride.

Have no-idea of how it could be badged.

........ patric

Got these fotos off the Ethernet. Yeah .. they happen to be
Shelby .. Lindy bicycles --- this is not the reason I posted them.

The forks resemble the fork on your machine.

8907142_6_l.jpg

1935 Lindy  -.jpg

===========
===========

bobtsunam ... that fork looks very-Shelby to me.

The frame .. if it were a Shelby would have head-cups
that are fairly-flush with the width of the head-tube ...
and .. if a Shelby .. the seat-stays would be ''pinched-in"
above the fender-bridge. This machine may have been
constructed from parts of the day -- that looked kool.

That saddle and lamp ... well .. am lost for words.

Interesting 'slot-style' opening to tool-box tank. Never
have seen this style before.

Can you get fotos of how the undertank bar is attached
to the frame ?

You are very-fortunate to have found this ride.

Have no-idea of how it could be badged.

........ patric

Got these fotos off the Ethernet. Yeah .. they happen to be
Shelby .. Lindy bicycles --- this is not the reason I posted them.

The forks resemble the fork on your machine.

View attachment 196638

View attachment 196639

===========
===========

I'm almost certain it's a Schwinn after coming across this website just a few minutes ago. The two pics below in particular caught my eye (especially the 1932 model). Now I have a general idea of when it was made (1930-1932, I think). Apparently this bike was also advertised as a motorcycle that came with a little motor...

1917_schwinn_world_6.jpg
1932-schwinn-motorbike.jpg

Back