When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up this Old Armstrong Today...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi Schwinny. Where did you get the decals? I need them for my Ladies Junior Model.
H. Lloyd in England. Look them up. Its where to get most European "transfers."
I think Velocals had better visual quality, sorry to see them go though.
Also Gus Salmon has good quality visuals and will make ones not currently available. VeloCals used to do that but now they're gone.

What I mean by visuals is; that when whatever decal is first made by photo or scan... whatever. The detail and crispness just isn't there on my Armstrongs head and tail transfers. They look a little cartoonish compared to the originals on the bike.

Ouch! I should save in pounds, I don't think they will accept Argentinean pesos hahaha. I'm going to look up them. Thank you so much

A few years back VCC published articles on the company history. It was formed about 1920 and existed as an independent concern until ‘43. I may be off a year or two. They were in Birmingham, a center of cycle and components manufacturing at the time. This allowed easy access to components. Armstrong built high quality cycles at reasonable prices. This company is not to be confused with later Armstrongs. I’m currently working on a preservation restoration of ‘37 X-frame Armstrong. What you have there is quite unusual, please care for it! Where are you located?

A few years back VCC published articles on the company history. It was formed about 1920 and existed as an independent concern until ‘43. I may be off a year or two. They were in Birmingham, a center of cycle and components manufacturing at the time. This allowed easy access to components. Armstrong built high quality cycles at reasonable prices. This company is not to be confused with later Armstrongs. I’m currently working on a preservation restoration of ‘37 X-frame Armstrong. What you have there is quite unusual, please care for it! Where are you located?
I'm in Des Moines, IA. But I found it and did most of the restoration in AZ.
Yes, this one has turned out to be quite rare. The Armstrong ME is intensely knowledgeable, has many of his own and has never seen one with rear facing dropouts. He leans to it being an early 30s version. And how it got to the American desert is a pleasant mystery.

There is another update... Tic..Tic

After intense finigalling, both here and abroad, the universe has answered the call.
The correct reflection apparatus'sszz have been located.
Over the past year I have gone through a few maybees, and realizing that there are very few vintage fork lamps left available in good shape to suit me, I had given up looking for awhile.
These two popped up within a week of each other from sheds and dusty garage shelves, not dealers. Whereas I was hoping to pay less than an arm, I paid only a knee.
Both in unused condition. The rear glass reflector came screwed to a clamp but as soon as I find the 26p nuts, or re-thread this one, it will be good to go. The blind clip does work well tho.
The headlamp is a 2-1/4 diameter by 2 inch deep with a working 3v Miller "gas" brass bulb. It has no Markings but considering the the bulb, probably a 30s Miller. It's the perfect lamp for this bike. I'm not going to put a permanent battery box on the bike but it does work off the little 2-AAA (3v) battery box with on / off switch I've pictured. It Velcro straps between the lamp and the bracket and can hardly bee seen. It gives out a murky yellow light at 3v.
The Bluemels pump is the correct era, works and is near perfect, so I'm able to put the gold "Tour de France" version on my 50s MacLean where it belongs.

IMG_20230425_142023828.jpg

IMG_20230425_142059914.jpg

IMG_20230425_142116450~2.jpg

IMG_20230425_141344034~2.jpg

IMG_20230425_145301893.jpg

IMG_20230425_142226504~2.jpg

IMG_20230425_142128134.jpg

IMG_20230425_142613604_MP.jpg

IMG_20230425_142544151_MP~2.jpg

Last edited:
Now, the only things left on the list are to fix the scratches on the top tube that appeared after the AZ. to IA. move. Fix the cracked rear mud guard. Have the saddle restored, and find a correct era 20t freewheel.
I'm sure I'll find a good, period "king of the road" Bell eventually, and may put the Cyclo 3spd derailleur back on it in the future.

Congratulations! You've put a lot of thought and work into that bike, and it looks great! Will you enter it in any bike shows?

Back