When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up this Old Armstrong Today...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
All I can tell you is the earliest Reynolds 531 decal I've seen is on this bike:
I've got a Hercules Kestrel with another decal, but I'm pretty sure it's post-war.

All I can tell you is the earliest Reynolds 531 decal I've seen is on this bike:
I've got a Hercules Kestrel with another decal, but I'm pretty sure it's post-war.
The first one on the Cecil Walker bike isn't even on H. LLoyd's site. They are the company with exclusive rights to reproduce Reynolds decals pre 85'. That was probably a custom decal just for that maker. Very CoolStuff.
The second is in their archive as being the Pre-war / Post war larger size, kind of square, and there is another size, smaller rectangle.
The decal isn't the issue though, they are all available from H. Lloyd, no matter which one
(except perhaps for that Cecil Walker Version).
H.Lloyd is about 531decals for bikes but 531 was used in many industries. Maybe the Cecil Walker bike is using an aircraft tubing decal ironically.

The first one on the Cecil Walker bike isn't even on H. LLoyd's site. They are the company with exclusive rights to reproduce Reynolds decals pre 85'. That was probably a custom decal just for that maker. Very CoolStuff.
The second is in their archive as being the Pre-war / Post war larger size, kind of square, and there is another size, smaller rectangle.
The decal isn't the issue though, they are all available from H. Lloyd, no matter which one
(except perhaps for that Cecil Walker Version).
H.Lloyd is about 531decals for bikes but 531 was used in many industries. Maybe the Cecil Walker bike is using an aircraft tubing decal ironically.
I never thought about Reynolds using different decals depending on whether it was bikes or planes. Interesting!

That decal featuring the airplane was only used on Australian bicycles. It is referencing the 'Reynolds' tubing made under licence by 'BTM', (British Tube Mills) of Australia .
They held licences to produce Reynolds tubing from 1938 onwards, but production may not actually have started until 1939.
531 was originally developed as aircraft airframe tubing.
This decal was also used by other Australian cycle manufacturers such as 'Malvern Star'.

That decal featuring the airplane was only used on Australian bicycles. It is referencing the 'Reynolds' tubing made under licence by 'BTM', (British Tube Mills) of Australia .
They held licences to produce Reynolds tubing from 1938 onwards, but production may not actually have started until 1939.
531 was originally developed as aircraft airframe tubing.
This decal was also used by other Australian cycle manufacturers such as 'Malvern Star'.
I wondered what the "BTM" referred to, and I would have probably just kept on wondering. Thanks!

Great post. I never payed attention in English class because I knew I would never go to England. It now comes to us.

Chomping at the bit.
This old guy is not bothered at all. It happily hangs in the corner and collects dust as if that was its main purpose. Looking across the glare, its real good at it.

Between the holidays and the Covid, my rims are in limbo somewhere behind the doors of a closed bike shop. I'll find out more about it today.
I recently found quite a bit more information on Armstrong and its bikes through an English enthusiast in the VCC. He wanted to add to his trove of Armstrong info, so I've been answering questions, taking pics and pouring through history and detail.
Once the rims and tires are back, all that is left is to wrap the brake cables, adjust the mud-guards and adjust the chain for a removable section with a 1/2" link. Then a good once over followed by cleaning and waxing. There will always be more to do, but at that point Im going to show this bike the town.

Cant post an update without pics... please excuse the dust and fingerprints.
As it hangs, it weighs 19lbs. The BB, Arms and chainwheel are 5lbs of it. I can't help think that with all modern parts, this could be a fully equipped 20lb bike.
I have a great English leather tail bag and OG grease gun for it also.

IMG_20220102_142712825_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20220102_142814769.jpeg

Took a ride on my new bike today....

Actually I've been riding it for a week. It has even had its first smack from another bike.
There are a couple kinks to work out, and a rear fender to now repair and repaint, but all-together it is finished. The riding position is not bad, even with my one bad arm but I couldn't maintain it for more than a few miles. If Im going to ride this at all, it will have to have the bars flipped as a minimum. It will also need toe clips to keep my toes off the front fender.

Highlights of the build included finding out a lot about English bicycle histories, building techniques, features and parts.

I have conferred with the Veteran Cycle Club Armstrong marque' enthusiast and the model and year is not conclusive. There are no records for Armstrong bikes other than ownership and word of mouth.
I have settled on it most likely being a 1938 model and what was called a Moth Sport in the 1936 catalog, or, what may have been called a Moth Super Club as designated in the 1939 price update sheet that is available. The 39' price sheet no longer shows a Moth Sport.
The repro head badge and other transfers are close but not the same as the originals. That may also be a pre/post war thing.
Armstrong was a mid level handbuilt bike company from 1920 to the early 40's when they were bought by a company that also owned Phillips. They stagnated throughout the forties and were then used as trading fodder in the 50's as the English bike industry was integrated into fewer bicycle companies.
Interesting to me was that Phillips was a parts and bike kits only company until 1939

Anyway here's the rundown.....
22" frame of chrome Moly Steel (not 531). The Fork is a Phillips "Super Club" model. Lugs are what is called chamfered fish tail lugs. This is the first rear facing dropout seen on an Armstrong, but of course there aren't many pre-war survivors. Actually none that Ive been able to glean from the internet. But then again, the owners of these are fairly old and not many are on the internet. More may show up in the future as they change hands to a younger crowd.

It started off as a flip flop 18/16t rear hub and that is the way I returned it. I was even able to find a period Bayliss Wiley Freewheel but it is one of the kinks to work out as it is growly in reverse movement. Almost no pawl sound as it freewheels, but something is not right in there.

The saddle bag came from England and contains a period Tecalemut hand grease gun as was supplied new. Also a link and a half for the flip/flop chain and a teeny crescent wrench named "weenie"

Period trends and fads are things like the clip style headset and stem (not recommended). The brake levers have a "mans' position hanging way out, and a black stripe in the middle of the rims was a fashion statement of the times.
Club riding was a big deal in England and these are the bikes that it circled around.

Quite a difference from last June, don't you think?

-----

thank you so much for this update

you have really done an outstanding job with the machine

looking very fine

was the marque enthusiast able to say anything as to what years this chainwheel pattern was employed?

did your research tell you if it would have come with a lighting system or was that a post-purchase option for owners?

is the white reflector on the front period correct? it "appears" decades later than cycle but then have little knowledge of this era.

it may be just me auld eyes but it looks as though crank registration may be off by a degree or two.

thanks again for sharing it and congratulations on the wonderful job.

-----

Back