When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up this ugly one about a hour ago. JC Penny with a Disk Brake

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi all,

Seems like a good place to ask. I am chasing one of these shimano disc brake hubs. For a 20" build. Interested in the hub alone or all components considered. Cheers.
I can always be contacted by email

[email protected]

I have been searching for this hub for close to two years now so would be hugely greatful for some help.

Thanks
Steve

this bike just looks heavy

Heavy ain't the word for it, more like battleship anchor!. Had one on a bike years ago and I'm no weight weenie, but that thing is ridiculous. A decent set of calipers that weigh a few ounces with good pads stops better than that monstrosity you weigh in pounds.

Took it off the bike, installed a caliper, sold the bike and gave the assembly to the scrap iron man who comes around on garbage day!

About as useless as an automatic transmission Chevette with air conditioning.

This is one ugly JC Penny 10 speed, and it sure is a heavy bike.

I'm not too interested in the frame, but it had parts I thought I could use. (Full Generator set with a head and Tail light, a shorter stem I think I can use on a bike that is a little too stretched out for me, a vintage rear view mirror, and a decent set of white wall tires, some steel framed pedals, and shimano derailleurs, and some miscellaneous fastener type items that will come in handy when needed).

Many of these pieces will be used on other bikes. It also has a rear stainless steel rotor shimano disk break that I thought was fairly unusual.

I pretty much bought this one just for the parts that I can use on some existing uncompleted builds.

Were these early shimano disk breaks ever used much?

View attachment 746541 View attachment 746542 View attachment 746543

If it didn't have good tires, the rear view mirror, and the generator set, I would have passed it up. But I got it for less than I would have payed to purchase those items. If I can either sell or fabricate that break system onto another bike as a novelty, that will just be a bonus.

It looks like it was a uncomfortable bike to ride with its tank like weight, and look at the drop between the saddle to break levers setup.
How much is it worth

IMG_20201103_104613596.jpg

I had a boys once that I took the rear brake off and throwed the rest away. I think the brake might be sitting in my basement. I paid $5 for mine and a girls would be worth less. Roger

Looks like that bike was either built by Huffy or Rollfast, definitely a catalog cheapie, probably late Bike Boom (or early Bike Bust) as it's got the BMA/6 sticker on the seat tube, so it's got to be a '74 or so. By that time, the Japanese component manufacturers were definitely on a profitable roll, so they were coming up with all sorts of technologically interesting, although not terribly well thought out, components. Shimano was definitely at the vanguard: Those disc brakes, Positronic shifting, front freewheel on the crank, etc.

You'd be amazed how many kids thought they were getting a real 10-speed when they got one of those.

Looks like that bike was either built by Huffy or Rollfast, definitely a catalog cheapie, probably late Bike Boom (or early Bike Bust) as it's got the BMA/6 sticker on the seat tube, so it's got to be a '74 or so. By that time, the Japanese component manufacturers were definitely on a profitable roll, so they were coming up with all sorts of technologically interesting, although not terribly well thought out, components. Shimano was definitely at the vanguard: Those disc brakes, Positronic shifting, front freewheel on the crank, etc.

You'd be amazed how many kids thought they were getting a real 10-speed when they got one of those.
The great thing about being a kid, you don't know any better. It's only if you happen to get a better bike that you suddenly realize "What the heck? Wow, this thing is great! Forget that old piece of sh*t!"

The great thing about being a kid, you don't know any better. It's only if you happen to get a better bike that you suddenly realize "What the heck? Wow, this thing is great! Forget that old piece of sh*t!"

Plus, back in the day, thank God they were selling stuff heavier, cheaper, and stronger than Peugeot UO-8's. I can imagine how long the Bike Boom would have lasted if everyone had bought the good stuff. And beaten it to death, unknowingly, in the first two months.

Back