When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pickers and Sellers! Please refrain from "Cleaning up" bikes & parts!

-

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
I recently picked up a few parts & noticed they had either been OA dipped or been scrubbed clean with steelwool & WD40. PLEASE DON'T DO THIS! Your parts are worth more as-is, especially to those looking for parts that match a bike's patina. Collectors, for the most part, prefer an untouched bike over one that has been de-rusted, wiped down or otherwise cleaned! Just leave it be!!! Rant over:)

I'm not the only one who would pay more for a piece that matches my bike. To each thier own...

I couldn't even tell what color the fender was before I did it... thought it was red. it was blue and 95% of the pinstripes were still there.

my avatar bike is rusty, some day I may put rusty fenders on it, but I would not pay a premium for them. I already have the matching rusty rack

I couldn't even tell what color the fender was before I did it... thought it was red. it was blue and 95% of the pinstripes were still there.

my avatar bike is rusty, some day I may put rusty fenders on it, but I would not pay a premium for them. I already have the matching rusty rack

I understand where you're coming from. However, i will gladly pay the premium for a part that not only matches in color, but that can also match the bike. I would rather the part pass for an original and look as if it has been with the bicycle for the duration of its life. Until i figure out how to grow trees that spawn prewar parts, a premium is a well worth price to pay for many of the parts that I may need.
We have all had those great thoughts and dreams of restoring a bike or two. But then the reality sets in. And now you're stuck holding a number of parts that you would rather not pass along because they're not 100%. They're halfway through the process of being cleaned and set for paint. Like selling a burger without the patty being cooked. :D

I understand why people might want to buy a part un-cleaned but what about when you get it? What if it needs to be cleaned up a bit to match the bike it was bought for? Is that ok? How about a complete bike? I find it hard to believe you guys are keeping your bikes with the og dirt...
With that said... it is a different story if the seller is damaging the bike/part when cleaning...

Back