When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pickers and Sellers! Please refrain from "Cleaning up" bikes & parts!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
I recently picked up a few parts & noticed they had either been OA dipped or been scrubbed clean with steelwool & WD40. PLEASE DON'T DO THIS! Your parts are worth more as-is, especially to those looking for parts that match a bike's patina. Collectors, for the most part, prefer an untouched bike over one that has been de-rusted, wiped down or otherwise cleaned! Just leave it be!!! Rant over:)

I'm not the only one who would pay more for a piece that matches my bike. To each thier own...

I couldn't even tell what color the fender was before I did it... thought it was red. it was blue and 95% of the pinstripes were still there.

my avatar bike is rusty, some day I may put rusty fenders on it, but I would not pay a premium for them. I already have the matching rusty rack

I couldn't even tell what color the fender was before I did it... thought it was red. it was blue and 95% of the pinstripes were still there.

my avatar bike is rusty, some day I may put rusty fenders on it, but I would not pay a premium for them. I already have the matching rusty rack

I understand where you're coming from. However, i will gladly pay the premium for a part that not only matches in color, but that can also match the bike. I would rather the part pass for an original and look as if it has been with the bicycle for the duration of its life. Until i figure out how to grow trees that spawn prewar parts, a premium is a well worth price to pay for many of the parts that I may need.
We have all had those great thoughts and dreams of restoring a bike or two. But then the reality sets in. And now you're stuck holding a number of parts that you would rather not pass along because they're not 100%. They're halfway through the process of being cleaned and set for paint. Like selling a burger without the patty being cooked. :D

I understand why people might want to buy a part un-cleaned but what about when you get it? What if it needs to be cleaned up a bit to match the bike it was bought for? Is that ok? How about a complete bike? I find it hard to believe you guys are keeping your bikes with the og dirt...
With that said... it is a different story if the seller is damaging the bike/part when cleaning...

Back