When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pickers and Sellers! Please refrain from "Cleaning up" bikes & parts!

-
A part of what has made this hobby enjoyable FOR ME is the disassembly and cleaning of bicycles in my collection to the bearing.
We are all looking for that natural state, untampered with condition so we can control what's next... my next is different than others, and if so, get there beforehand.
Chris

As For Me........................I think each bike has to be evaluated individually . Some I would say leave alone.............Some may need a few parts , and a tune up to be "Use able" . Some , like in the case of my Straight Bar ........................Needs to have a Fresh Start because of how BAD it had been treated ( And Painted ) over the years. :rage: I feel like I want to make the bike " Better" than when I got it ............(most of the time.) MANY are not ride able until you do SOMETHING to 'em to get them to be ride able ..............which may require parts from a donor bike..............which I think happens a lot . I think you just have to find that balance between leaving a survivor as is , or messing with it , such as cleaning it or trying to bring out it's best qualities. To each his own . As far as Pickers sellin' their stuff.......................I agree with @fordmike65 ..................Please don't clean it.................I'll make that decision. ;)

In general Mike is right, in the long run if you keep cleaning things you will just have cleaned items and you won’t have any history to reflect on. Don’t forget repatination, the process by which some parts of metal or wood are brought back to match the whole piece, or the overall appearance.
In God we crust.
I think you mean FAKE patina. Razin.

I recently picked up a few parts & noticed they had either been OA dipped or been scrubbed clean with steelwool & WD40. PLEASE DON'T DO THIS! Your parts are worth more as-is, especially to those looking for parts that match a bike's patina. Collectors, for the most part, prefer an untouched bike over one that has been de-rusted, wiped down or otherwise cleaned! Just leave it be!!! Rant over:)

I value patina intact parts for my own taste however as a seller the shiny stuff seems to go for better money. I see alot of in people in the wanted ads requesting patina and with the unspoken expectations that it will be cheaper. I look forward to the day when I can charge a premium for untouched patina at least on parts.

Last edited:
this is a fun thread. sold antiques, collectibles and old car parts for 5 years straight in ebay, besides doing it elsewhere for 20 years before that. this was my job, yet it is now clear I know nothing about selling old stuff. should have come here first, think of all the money this incredible error cost me. :(

Back