When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pictures wanted: 1933 Colson tandem

-

jpromo

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I picked one up. It's a basket case but the difficult parts to find are there and I can make something for the steering linkage easily. Google doesn't turn up too much information on the early incarnation. Original reference photos would be nice for a possible distrestoration.

PcGWd58-1.jpg

Hmmmmm...

You and I are in the same boat, mine is orange as well, go figure.

I found no original paint underneath the orange paint. As far as early pictures, all I could find was bad pictures and drawings from early catalogs. I'm going to strip, re-paint and stress paint. No choice, but to use those bad pictures and drawings.

I believe mine has original saddles, fenders, handlebars, steering linkage, etc., I can send you close up pics. / measurements of what ever you need to fabricate. Would love to see your progress as you go along.

Good Luck!

A couple pictures would be awesome whenever you get the chance! I don't think there's any original paint underneath mine either. All the actual bikes I've seen seem to have different seats from the next one. I'm pretty sure the original fenders were all rain gutters on these early birds? There are a few good pictures from google searches. The best ones point to old threads on here.

I also found a descriptive ad that says they came in black and white or maroon and white with gold pinstriping. There's one old thread that has an excellent B&W example with the gold pins still present.

That's funny... You and I most likely downloaded the same pictures and info.; yes black/white and maroon/white.

Mine was the maroon/white flavor, found just a little bit of paint underneath the fork's crown. I've already had the color matched (2-stage enamel) just working up the nerve to do my first spray paint gun job.

Here are a couple of pictures, the before and the (hopeful) after.

Attachments

• Feb 2013 tandem colson 002.jpg
    Feb 2013 tandem colson 002.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 307
  • Bq850wWkKGrHqEOKicEuZP-c9znBLloivMjQ_3.jpg
    Bq850wWkKGrHqEOKicEuZP-c9znBLloivMjQ_3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 318
Gosh that must be what this bike is .......

this has been hanging in my upstairs for years ........
IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Last edited:
That would be the one! Sweet original you've got there. I wish mine had a scrap of OG paint left but what I've looked over doesn't appear to. I wonder if yours may be a couple years later--1935 or so because of the radius fenders and paint color. I haven't pulled a serial yet and don't know the actual year of mine. But it's good to know they could have come with standard radius fenders instead of only rain gutters. I've got a perfect pair of period correct ones.

Alright--I'm planning on dredging up parts through the winter to attempt my first repaint and distress it to the parts already present. I've got some ideal fenders in original black paint so I'll be going with the black/white with gold pins as the catalog describes. Also the paint scheme I've gotten the best original photos of.

Obviously I need some parts. My main question would be what were the original saddles? Catalog describes a lady's comfort and no.4 bucket in rear. Then pedals maybe Tor. 8s? I have a unique early kickstand I may use in lieu of buying another Colson stand. But I may do that anyway.. then I'm hoping to replicate the steering linkage with some machining.

It'd probably be better to buy an original but, unless detroitbike wants to sell his, I don't know that I'll be finding another!

My basket case.
bRtiE6T-1.jpg

Chn24LO-1.jpg

If you want Come by the shop and check mine out.
even the seats are original to the best of my Knowledge.
Something to trade?

Here's what I have...

I believe original to my tandem:

Troxel long spring seats
Torringtons 10's and 8's

Look forward to your build... I will wait for spring for the repaint on my build.

Attachments

• tandem 005.jpg
    tandem 005.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 252
  • tandem 004.jpg
    tandem 004.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 249
  • tandem 003.jpg
    tandem 003.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 274
  • tandem 006.jpg
    tandem 006.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 220
Awesome; thanks for the reference. I've had one very similar men's long spring laying around for two years waiting for the bike it was meant to be on. If I can find a ladies match, that may make the call for me.

Good luck with you bike! And Detroit, where is your shop located? I know of a classic focused shop in Southgate. That's not you by chance, is it?

Back