When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piecing together chains of the same brand....is it safe?

-

SJ_BIKER

Riding a 41 Super Deluxe
Is it safe to piece together chains of the same brand if the chain needed is too short....might have to do this for a project with long wheel base.....not sure if there are any draw backs or if factories had special presses for this ?

I've done it before with out problems , just make sure that you keep the outside links straight and not toed outward, i usually squeeze them together a little so the inside link fits snug between the outside links, also make sure the pin is centered. All chains were pieces before assembling

Ive linked a few chains in the past...just didnt have any second thoughts about it ... as too any drawbacks such as excessive wear or breakage of any sort....

The only thing I've done it tried to match patina and wear. You don't want an NOS chain with a section that's worn out & may break on you.

girl's chains I toss out, unless thy're skip tooth. The girl's skip tooth chains I make into boys chains and they are fine. I bought a bike that had no less than 7 master links piecing together it's skip tooth chain. Why I don't know, but it worked fine. I salvaged the links . I have only broken two chains. One was on a steep hill on a 47 Schwinn. The other was on a Evans- Colson, and it was very rusty. Links can develop tiny stress cracks. Look them over closely before installing. If you don't have a chain tool, drive the pins out with an appropriate size drift punch. A small nail set works for this.

Back