When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pierce Bicycle Mega Thread + Serial Numbers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The seat frame looks like a Brooks to me. I am guessing now that it was not an option in 1904?

I found the seat specs for 1904 and nothing like a Brooks saddle was offered. Between the 501 & 511 there was a wide range of saddles offered so I have lots of options!

My serial number is 111,896

Troxel was a popular choice.

2CDCCF01-C996-46FD-9D36-024CCE01BF75.jpeg

75B3B130-E722-49B1-BB30-9C1E819BB3DD.jpeg

6EC73E97-4FBE-4059-BF30-9E32BD9647E7.jpeg

8125FAE4-87E2-4D25-A171-27DBF4A73149.jpeg

Thanks Giovanni! Great suggestion!
According to the catalogue the Troxel 10 A and 30 B were only offered on the model 511 but so were those Hussey bars.
I’ve always admired Paul’s reproduction Troxels because of the cool badges so I’ll probably go that route!

I was hoping to get some technical advice on my latest bicycle - it is a Pierce, around 1909 I'd say, Cushion frame (Hygenic Cushion rear shock and double spring fork in the front) . It is a beautifull machine of which I will post some pictures in the next few days... so far my question would be:
How does the seat post clamp ? There is a hexagonal nut attached to the upper end of the seat tube and that nut just spins freely.

IMG_20220607_022428.jpg

The nut says
"Pierce Pat. Mar.06 1900"
IMG_20220607_022438.jpg

The nut has an inner thread and the seat tube has an inserted sleeve, about 2" long with a vertical key slot - Since the nut isn't doing anything, I guess some kind of collet assembly is missing, to clamp the seat post tight- right now the shaft would not fasten but can still be turned and slid up and down inside the tube.

IMG_20220607_022504.jpg

I googled the patent phrase and added "seat post" and found some hits which look like a match (Besides it doesn't say "Pierce" in the patent)

Patent J.Ullard.png

Patent.png

I just have no idea how a collet could be slid in, the shaft already makes a pretty tight fit right now...???

As always, any advice is truly welcome
Thanks.

Last edited:
Ok, after a closer examination I discovered a small thread on the inner sleeve, which led me to the conclusion that the sleeve could thread into the nut if it hadn't slipt down too far into the seatpost... so after some soft wiggling I could lift up the whole nut-collet-sleeve-combo...

IMG_20220607_204530.jpg

IMG_20220607_204602.jpg

The nut and the outer (black) sleeve are held together by a recess and can spin freely against each other.
The thread of the inner collet screws into the top nut and expands the outer sleeve via the tapered wedge it gets drawn into, which will compress against the seat post tube and thus clamp the whole assembly, including the inserted seat post.
So yet another method of seat post binder - Pretty slick arrangement - complicated to manufacture and beautifull to study.
Thats why I like TOCs (=Totally Overcomplicated Cool Sh1t) :)

Back