When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pierce cushion fork repair

-

ratfink1962

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a broken Pierce cushion fork I will be repairing sometime in the near future.

I have a couple of ideas on how to fix it, but was wondering if anyone here has made the same repair, and what the outcome was?

My fork is broken where the aft most (long) leaf meets the crown, essentially it broke off flush. I read elsewhere that the fork legs are made from spring steel and I believe was brazed into the crown.

Idea #1
Cut off 1" from the original break, then weld on (tig) a new longer section which would slip into the slot milled into the crown, then braze it like it was from the factory. My fears with this method would be changing the temper of the spring steel when welding the extension on. I would also build a jig to hold things in the proper place before welding and brazing it back together.

Idea #2
Figure out which steel to use (1050-1060?) And forge a whole new leg... which would require it to be tempered. Then install it in the fork crown same as above. My fear of using this method is getting the dimensions exact, and getting the proper temper... plus it really wouldn't be original to the bike.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Let's hear it.

20190216_141311.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes!! OH...WOW...To me... it looks like a total replacement....who ever did the orig repair most likely used a torch and destroyed the temper...if I had it I’d throw it away..or dream for a new fork or use it as a display....lol... ok ...seriously option( 3 ) is to do a whole new fork. Do the “forged in fire thing.” you might lose the spring steel temper with heat of a torch on a repair... who’s to say the other side hasn’t be compromised with the old repair...it’s possible you repair and the other side breaks..too risky

I would start by sand-blasting the whole fork to see what you are really working with.
Looks like a mess in the picture.
I use aluminium oxide in my cabinet. Safer/more gentle on the steel.
Then clear it until you are ready for the next step to prevent rusting.
Then post some pictures of what you have.

Hard to say what really is going on there!

I would most likely only repair the fork by welding it/brazing it and leaving it as a display piece ..... I would not ride a bike with this fork on!!!

The old repair was a piece of sheetmetal wrapped around the fork legs and soldered... not hot enough to mess with the temper.

Option 3 is not an option to me at all.
This fork (and bike) will be repaired and ridden... wont be a daily rider, but it will be ridden on occasion. I have no doubt it can be repaired, and be just as good as the original. I also blacksmith as a hobby.

But yes... it is a mess, I will clean it up and see just what Ive got going on... I dont think its as bad as everyone thinks.

Was wondering if anyone here has attempted the same repair? If not... I guess Ill document it, then you can send me your broken Pierce forks! :)

If you black smith then option 3 is viable..why the question then?

I can re-create the fork legs, but no way would I attempt to re-make a new crown with steer tube... thats beyond my abilities to just create that part from scratch. Besides... Its kinda the same thing as repairing what I already have if I just replace the one broke leg.

I can fabricate just about anything... but If I get stuck, I have a buddy that is a nationally recognized master fabricator that builds some amazing stuff.

Back