When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pierce shaft-drive question.

-

KansasJack

Look Ma, No Hands!
I came across a Pierce shaft drive bicycle for sale but it appears that the seat stays are in bad shape. The bike is listed in “poor” condition. Any way to salvage it?
View attachment 1087451View attachment 1087451
51D06C9E-B80B-4981-A9EC-C49F02BB361A.jpeg

Replaceable if you can find one-Nice wallhanger if you can get it at that price
Front fork looks bent as well

I'm no expert by a long shot but it seems like a good deal.

Was it rear ended? Those can probably be heated and reformed. The forks look bent too from a collision, not unusual with old bikes. My Pierce had S shaped forks when I found it. Good luck.

Yeah, I noticed the forks as well. I’m not sure if I’ll put a bid on it yet. I’m afraid it might be more work than I’m willing to spend money on. The seat stay issue might be a deal-breaker, plus one of the auction pics also shows missing screws in the crank housing.

that was a big disadvantage to chainless bikes, any damage to the frame and the rear wheel/sprocket became misaligned.

use the body shop dent puller that welds a short rod onto the metal after you have cleaned it down to the bare metal you will need to heat the tube up to glowing state then i would use my dent puller to slide hammer the tubes back into as close to a round shape as i could get it then tap it back round with a body hammer .you will need to repeat this process as many times as needed its time consuming work so do not be in a hurry first thing any good tool and die maker learns is patience before anything else <ps try to keep all your fingers >

Back