When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pierce shaft drive

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ratfink1962

Finally riding a big boys bike
Officially for sale,
Early 1900's Pierce shaft drive cushioner, this one is a project.

Bad... Missing lots of paint and the nickle plating is pretty much gone, wrong seat, wrong front wheel. Fork has an older repair, will need a proper repair to be rideable. The worst of the rust seems to be centered around the rear hub.

Good... everything except right pedal still turns! Correct rear wheel/hub but the rim is shot, has the type 3 head badge plus the patent badge along with a lamp mount, frame is rusty but no freeze burst, no dents or other damage, still a very solid and unique bicycle.

Asking $1800 or best offer, no trades at this time. No PayPal, cash or postal money order please.

Located 67060, 3 miles west of exit 39 on the Kansas Turnpike. Willing to meet within 100 miles, or shipping available at cost.

20190203_135316.jpg

20190203_135331.jpg

20190203_135337.jpg

20190210_093528.jpg

20190210_093543.jpg

20190210_093624.jpg

20190210_093716.jpg

20190203_135347.jpg

20190203_135408.jpg

20190203_135417.jpg

20190210_093752.jpg

20190210_093445.jpg

20190210_124809.jpg

20190210_093452.jpg

20190210_093505.jpg

Having inspected this frame via pictures I would also like to add for the benefit of buyer & seller that it appears one crank arm has been brazed at the cone-spanner nut.

Cool project, not one for the faint of heart though having played with these Chainless bikes a bit.

@toyman is a good resource for troubleshooting though and may be interested in another Pierce for his stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to love it when so many Pierce suspension bikes come up for sale
seems like a couple parts were welded/soldered to the frame.
-lamp bracket is welded to the head tube
-stand looks welded to the chain stays
-crank to axle nut (previously noted)
-rear fender to seat stay/rear shock
seems like it was welded using solder wire for welding copper plumbing pipes!
I suspect it could be melted simply by using a regular propane torch

Also I am curious as to what is going on with the handlebars? Looks like they were cut, shortened, "welded" back and tapped with rivets (red arrows)
lumps_LI.jpg

good project for sure for someone with experience

Last edited:
If nobody buys it, I'm itching to dig into it. But I'll have plenty of questions first! I just dont want to mess anything up.

And yes... those bars are very strange, I think your right, someone hacked them up.

If nobody buys it, I'm itching to dig into it. But I'll have plenty of questions first! I just dont want to mess anything up.

And yes... those bars are very strange, I think your right, someone hacked them up.

You should do it.
IMO .... I don't think you could do anything wrong to it at this point in it's life
any work would be beneficial
Max

Locomotion... you are 100% correct!!

Someone "soldered" on this bike, all the spots you mentioned are nothing more than lead. Propane torch and wire brush and it comes right off!

Good eye!

The ONLY thing stopping me, is too many projects, if I do take this on, it might be on the back burner for awhile till I can get to it. But... I do love a challenge, and I would LOVE to bring it back to life and ride the wheels off!

I have collected, restored, sold, and hoarded hundreds of shaft drives over the years with the last one in my collection going to Toyman years ago. The Pierce's were always my favorite and most sought after. I think you are spot on with the pricing. Just my humble amateur opinion.

Back