When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pink Lady bicycles? Any info on these?

-

jgsb1966

Look Ma, No Hands!
So my girlfriend has not one, but TWO Pink Lady bicycles made in West Germany. She found the first one (on the right) about 5 years ago and brought it back to life though it was missing many original parts. The one on the left we just picked up. It'll need a total going over but looks to be very complete. Can't seem to find anything online about these. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_20220521_113814983_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220521_113717569.jpg
IMG_20220521_113901412.jpg
ne about these bikes. Is anyone familiar with them? Would love any information you may have on these bikes.

-----

the fork crown an its cap are bits seen on some Bauer produced models, although these are parts likely available to all

the chainguard pattern should prove a helpful clue in determining the actual manufacter

you may be able to retrieve a date from the shell of the Fichtel & Sachs (or Centrix) marked rear hub

pedals will be either from Union or WECO
front hubs may carry an Union marking -

exchange rates were such in the 1950's and early 1960's that it was attractive for north american chainstores to have their house branded wheelgoods done in the DBR

you could try looking at some of the vintage Bauer machines posted to ebay.de

if no finds the search could be expanded to other major producers such as the marques Schauff and Kalkhoff

-----

Last edited:
Well, I've learned something new today! I replied about these on a facebook post. I said the most likely to be imported from W. Germany would be Steyr, and Bauer after that, getting into the small companies. I'd wondered about the Black Knight for years.

Hello...

"Pink Lady" and "Black Knight" were produced in Europe specifically for the American market via Behrens wholesale-distributor. These bicycles imitated the look, style and equipment typical of American bicycles. Several foreign countries, even Japan built imitation American bicycles. But today's collectors don't know this fact.

I once gave a PowerPoint presentation years ago about foreign imitation American bicycles. This took place at a gathering of American Classic Bicycle collectors in Texas hosted by Scott who owns CABE.

Behrens ads were a little ironic since they poked fun at imitation art, yet those very ads were for imitation American bicycles! If you look closely at the Pink Lady (and Black Knight) you can see bits of Schwinn, Roadmaster/AMF, Shelby, Hiawatha and more.

One "Pink" version was promoted by a famous female movie star. And my friend, the late Kevin Jarre, (famous screenwriter) had a Black Knight new, growing up in Detroit area.

There was also another version, the "Pink Witch."

Of course, National Bicycle History Archive of America (NBHAA.com) has the original catalogues and related literature for these bicycles.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America
(NBHAA.com)

Last edited:
Thank you Leon! I will pass this information along to my girlfriend. I'm sure she will enjoy hearing about it.

EDIT: I forwarded it to her and she said "That is so COOL!!!!" Now she wants to find a Pink Witch bike. LOL So is this the Pink Witch (a Triumph made by Raleigh)?

nc_ohc=8qYn3TTdbhAAX88wOmp&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back