When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planes & Trains badge, Razor stem

-

mrg

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
A couple of Questions, what years are the brass vs. aluminum Planes & trains badges, seems like I've had both on prewar bikes @barneyguey ?, second question what is the differences between pre vs. post war razor stem?

Last edited:
I've seen both on prewar bikes. So I think it was just before the War, but some of the brass ones were still out there being mounted on bicycles. So far I've never found any literature stating when it was. Barry

Reactions: mrg
Great question Mark-the question about the Schwinn 'razor' has come up before-maybe we should address it! If i can find all the different versions in my stash I will run a tutorial. In general-the first came off the drawing board in June/July 1936 and was brass. This was an improvement over the pot metal Torrington 'deco' stem being used on the Schwinn motorbikes which had a tendency to break under stress and even assembly. There were other drop forged stems being used but Schwinn wanted a stand out stem! Probably one of the most beautiful stems out there is the Schwinn 'razor' of 1936. But it had problems also. Probably a year or so later they came out with the second version-a drop forged steel version. As near as I can tell-there are a several versions of the prewar drop forged steel razor with very small changes. Watch for pictures and a more detailed tutorial to come.

Back