When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please any info on this Libertas

-
I would put the red Tas at 1970 or 71- the same year I got my Gitane Super Corsa- Those foil French decals were the thing then- and knda fragile really- those are in good shape. The partial chrome on the frame and forks is a turn of the decade thing that screams "This is the 70's, not the 60's".. The Unica/Unicanitor saddle was a horrible "butt breaker" until then later covered with smooth leather or brushed suede and then a staple on racing bikes until the later part of the 70's. The brakes might be more of a clue- Dia Compe didn't displace Weinmann until more toward the mid 70's, yet almost identical.. The cottered crank was still coming on consumer bikes for awhile but getting more rare as the decade passed and then it would have been something like a Sugino Maxy crank on that model by the mid-70's. I had a friend who had a full campy red Libertas- very similar. The aluminum rims are a nice touch and more continental than Raleigh or Schwinn or cheaper department chain import lines.

Last edited:
-----

Frame's blades and stays are not chrome plated. They wear a type of painted finish often employed by low countries manufacturers to suggest chrome without the expense.

-----

-----

Found closeup images on other Libertas cycles showing the text in the apparent tubing transfers of the subject bicycle. The rectangular transfer simply reads "LIBERTAS MADE IN BELGIUM." The triangular fork blade transfer reads "LIBERTAS TRADE MARK." Cute how they selected the black and green colours so well known for the transfers of a certain bicycle frame tubing maker...

Libertas frame transfer .JPG
Liberta fork blade transfer .jpg

Here are some closeup images showing the model of Gnutti quick release skewer the cycle is fitted with. Would expect hub barrels to be unmarked. This pattern was current from approximately the mid-1960's through the mid-1970's -

Gnutti QR A) .jpeg
Gnutti QR B) .jpeg

Here are two images showing the plastic GRAND-PRIX model saddle on the bicycle -

GRAND-PRIX saddle a) .jpg
GRAND-PRIX saddle b) .jpg

-----

The Libertas brand was started by Jules Spagnaerts in Niel, Belgium, in 1919. He was sponsoring riders as early as 1931 and from the late forties to the mid eighties Libertas was a regular in the pro peloton. Most famous riders in their ranks were Stan Ockers (world champion in 1955) and Rik Van Looy, the emperor of Herentals, and world champion in 1960 and 1961:

1k0.jpg

I just got me my own Libertas and rebuilt it this winter. From 1970, and close to yours in terms of age. Have only just finished its maiden trip last week and was pleasantly surprised by the ride quality.

1k0.jpg

What are your plans with it?

View attachment 770667 View attachment 770668 View attachment 770669 View attachment 770670 View attachment 770671 View attachment 770672 View attachment 770673 View attachment 770674 Any info on this bike would be greatly appreciated ... looks like a pretty cool bike ! States it is made in Belgium ... anyone know the year ? Any info would be helpful. Does it look to be all OG

Thank you in advance Cabers
Robert
I bought a 25” Libertas from New Orleans Lightweight Cycles in New Orleans in 1971. Wish I had kept it. It was baby blue. It had a Simplex derailleur, quick release wheels and an uncomfortable plastic saddle. Gave it away in 1992, incorrectly thinking my bicycle riding days were over. They weren’t.

I bought a 25” Libertas from New Orleans Lightweight Cycles in New Orleans in 1971. Wish I had kept it. It was baby blue. It had a Simplex derailleur, quick release wheels and an uncomfortable plastic saddle. Gave it away in 1992, incorrectly thinking my bicycle riding days were over. They weren’t.
They were also the importer of Viner framesets.

Back