When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PLEASE DO NOT CLEAR-COAT YOUR ORIGINAL PAINT VINTAGE BIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just bought a CWC built Buckeye - it's in the Project Ride section
I've done the 0000 steel wool and WD40 clean up - wiped it down..........did some more WD40 but after it sits it looks dry.
I went to the boiled linseed next - did that 2x.........stills dries back flat and nasty.

When it's wet using either the WD40 or linseed ( smells nasty ) it looks great..............but then goes flat and blaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

Only done 2 other bikes with Satin clear and they turned out great........and I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this one.
It's not a show bike - will never be but the difference between a little shine, which is what the satin does and without is a huge difference.

Clear coat is for amateurs. Look at this rusty mess I just did. 2000 grit wetsanding, 0000 steel wool, and rubbing compound. If I had cleared it the bike would be a mess with clear. Now it is a good looking old bike.

20210502_173051 (5).JPG

Clear coat is for amateurs. Look at this rusty mess I just did. 2000 grit wetsanding, 0000 steel wool, and rubbing compound. If I had cleared it the bike would be a mess with clear. Now it is a good looking old bike.
Now THAT'S what I'm aspiring to! Nice job! That type of preservation really works for me. Makes me see some of my bikes in a different light.

Any idea of how much time you have in just the hand work on this one? Have you posted a tutorial anywhere?

The more bikes done this way the less that will be clear coated! 😆

Now THAT'S what I'm aspiring to! Nice job! That type of preservation really works for me. Makes me see some of my bikes in a different light.

Any idea of how much time you have in just the hand work on this one? Have you posted a tutorial anywhere?

The more bikes done this way the less that will be clear coated! 😆

I have many hours into that paint. I would do 1-2 hours at a time... I figure 8-10 hours? one day I spent 3 hours on the forks alone, they were pretty bad plus I was trying to save the pinstripes. there was a lot of detail work around the decals as well.

Had a buddy of mine back in the height of the patina craze who would take everything he owned, antique coolers, lawn ornaments, old bicycles etc and BURY....and I mean BURY them in clear to the point where they had runs.....and then cover them in pinstriping.
Stuff sold like hotcakes whenever he would sell stuff but I didnt have the heart to mention that the original finish was likely ruined forever. I inherited a nice hoard of bicycle parts when he moved, but sadly some of the better, early Schwinn stuff is encased in clear. Havent gone the route of trying to remove it yet but I will soon.

Perhaps a qualifier would be in order — such as how much left original paint; 50%?
It has been said that clear is just another color and basically a repaint, and I agree, but I do not recall ever choosing clear as a repaint color (especially after primer coats).

I do have some clear paint around and recall only using it on more modern and new metallic flake paint finishes.

Last edited:
Back