When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help assess this '55 Corvette

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kram

Look Ma, No Hands!
I'm undecided on whether to keep this 1955 (May 20) 3-speed CORVETTE. This seems a fairly solid example, to my somewhat untrained eye. The paint is faded but shiney, and it looks thin) in places, but not badly scratched. And all polished/"chrome" parts seem very good. The only rust appears on the headlight bracket. I noticed the seat post as having the AS bolt, and the post and clamp have residue of a light coat of light grey paint. Saddle is Mesinger (and obviously red).

[I'll put pictures up from the laptop ... ]

Attachments

• 2012-08-20 18.56.43.jpg
    2012-08-20 18.56.43.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 2012-08-20 18.56.43.jpg
    2012-08-20 18.56.43.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 2012-08-20 19.08.32.jpg
    2012-08-20 19.08.32.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 2012-08-20 19.07.45.jpg
    2012-08-20 19.07.45.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 2012-08-20 19.03.26.jpg
    2012-08-20 19.03.26.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 143
  • 2012-08-20 19.00.29.jpg
    2012-08-20 19.00.29.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
(non-) S seat & paint & rack

This nice Mesinger doesn't have an 'S'. Is it merely a personal preference, or does it mean something, in terms of being original equipment? Maybe the S-models are year-specific??

In the used car game, back when I was a kid in Cleveland, RED was known for being easily revitalized, with properly applied rubbing compound. I hesitate t disturb this Corvette's finish, as it has a (somehow?) delicate appearnce in places. Also, the red color is rather a DEEP shade.

The rack's rat trap is double-hinged, to widen a bit, for carrying books, I suppose. It says:: Schwinn Approved & Made in Western Germany

Last edited:
Hello, friends & neighbors ??

Was it something I said ?!?!

A shameless BUMP ...

this is a very nice example of a schwinn corvette. Looks complete and prob rides amazing. Not sure what more you might want

I'd say all checks out very nicely other than the seat. '55 was the first year for the middleweight bicycles and it featured a one year only tan seat. You're right, the Schwinn 'S' seats first started in '59. Purely for nitpickers, any later two-tone seat would look good. The rest of the bike looks really nice and they make great riders. Enjoy!

Finding an image of a '55 saddle is difficult enough but here's the best I could find:
go5azJYIu9PfGOWWbUHfZg.jpg

Then '56 came with the first two-toned seats like this one:
fq2d1iru6r.jpg

Last edited:
thanx & a couple Q's

Then '56 came with the first two-toned seats like this one:

VERY cool! Thanks a ton.
Is there some subtle difference between my 2-tone and your '56 example saddle (or am I just up a bit too early)?
Btw, what would a tan saddle WITH an S designate, or was there one?
Also, I have an NOS Schwinn "Sport" model head/tail light & generatoer set. Would that be appropriate on a '55 middleweight?

Last edited:
The earlier two-tone saddles were actually two colored pieces of material stitched together whereas the later ones were colored vinyl with white painted on. Again, nitpicky stuff :o just trying to spread what I found out when looking for a seat for my early 'vette.

Here's a better picture of a '56 seat. You can see it's a straight line separating two pieces of material.
img_1815.jpg

Last edited:
We have a '54 Corvette...

Darcie

Hey Darcie, is the date November or December in '54? '55 was the first model year but one can assume Schwinn started producing them for the Chrismas '54 season. The one I have actually has an overlapping serial of November '54 and some time in '56. I'll never know which it is unfortunately; could be one of the earliest Corvettes or just a '56.

Back