When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help assess this '55 Corvette

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I think there were a few different seats used between the early tan seat and the Mesinger S seats in '59. I think I've seen factory Mesinger two tone non-S seats used on Corvettes, but it had a chrome crash rail. The seat on the OP's bike was probably from a 60s Columbia.

I think there were a few different seats used between the early tan seat and the Mesinger S seats in '59. I think I've seen factory Mesinger two tone non-S seats used on Corvettes, but it had a chrome crash rail. The seat on the OP's bike was probably from a 60s Columbia.

Yeah, there were also two different versions of the early two-tone saddle. You had the tan '55 seat. Then a no rivet two-tone for '56-'57, then a three rivet two-tone that was similar to the preceding years for '57-58. Then you had your three rivet '59-62 Mesinger 'S', followed by the vinyl wrap Mesinger 'S' from '63 on into oblivion.

This is all just study and speculation and there's no saying there wasn't more overlapping or other seat styles thrown into the mix but it is quite the cluster..

corvette seat

:D61 seat had 3 rivits,62 had 2 rivits,63 and up had no rivits,not countin overlaps

The only other part that I can say for sure that was not issued on the 55 models is your 1959 or later front two stage Mayweg rack. The 55 models had a one year only front rack that was slightly different than the 56 thru 58 racks. Not to sure about the light.

Note. There some 1954 Corvettes. The date coded serial number was stamped on the dropout but the frame and bike were built sometime after the serial number was stamped. The number is a serial number, not a VIN number or a build date number. From my research of the late 50's and early 60's, the next years production started in the weeks of November. Also, an actual Schwinn dealer will tell you that the next model year bikes were shipped out after the first of the year. There may have been a few exceptions to the norm like the newly introduced 54 Jag and the new 64 Sting Ray.

Last edited:
Hey GT, how do the front racks on the '55 year differ? I've got an overlapping serial that I've been calling a '56 because I picked up a '56 seat for it but it could also be a late November '54.. potentially being a very early Corvette. That might be the cue I need to seal it!

Since the 1955 model middleweights were new, they had a few one year specific oddities, not counting the seat. The prongs on the front Mayweg were quite a bit longer. It was probably changed when they figured out it was just to dang long. That style chainguard on the 55 Corvette was used on lightweights for at least a decade before the middleweights came along and the 55 model middleweights used that same old guard. A one year deal here too, the frame and guard for 55 had a different mounting spacing of 17" verses the 56 and later models which were 17.5". The rear mounting tab on the 55 guard was riveted futher forward. Also, the 55 middleweights guard still had the lightweight's cable clip riveted on the top. The girls bike continued to have the clip but it was deleted on the boys models for 1956.

If you have a SN that was used in prior years one way to verify your model year is by date coding the crank casting or look at the date on the rear hub shell. There is also a three digit stamping on the left? leg of the fork near the dropout but I'm not quite sure when Schwinn started stamping the forks. The earlest I can personally verify was 1958.

I'll see if I can find a picture of the 55 Mayweg.

MVC-003S.JPG

Last edited:
Can't delete a post so I'll edit. I see nothing. LOL

Last edited:
my 5/55 corvette has the cable clip on the chainguard, and the front rack has an unusual bend to it One peice vynil messinger painted S seat with crash rail, Schwinn lighting kit.
Somone stole my wheelset whil it was being painted.

Anyone have a 5/55 36 spoke 3 speed hub?

Nice find! Great example of an early, fairly complete (minus seat) Corvette. The Corvette was introduced in 1954 as Schwinn's first middleweight bicycle. However, it was not available to the public to purchase till 1955. Therefore, there are probably some Corvette's out there yet with a 54 serial number, which would be rare and very cool! Late model production bikes were many times sold as the coming year. The seat is hard to find for this year and can be very pricey! A friend of mine picked one up for around $300 more than what he paid for the bike. Have fun!

* Still looking for a Corvette from years 1959-1965.

Back