When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help i.d. a girls prewar Hawthorne

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Welcome to the CABE; and nice bike.

There are some control freaks on this site that might frown upon placing a new inquiry post on an older existing thread; but we let little things like that slide for new members.

The 2nd bike looks like a Snyder built MW Hawthorne girls model and is another good example of the differences between those manufacturers.

The serial sequence number is the five digits; because they are on the bottom bracket, we understand that the bike is pre-war; (seat tube mast for post war). The other stamping is a date-place code; and looks like “04–EH” — the 04 is a reverse code for 1940. The letters reflect the Excelsior-Hawthorne factory in Michigan City Indiana (closer than the NY factory was to customer MW in Chicago).
I believe that the dash “—” in between the date and place codes may have been discontinued post war.
Stamping might read 14–EH or 24–EH(?).

Last edited:
Welcome to the CABE; and nice bike.

There are some control freaks on this site that might frown upon placing a new inquiry post on an older existing thread; but we let little things like that slide for new members.

The 2nd bike looks like a Snyder built MW Hawthorne girls model and is another good example of the differences between those manufacturers.

The serial sequence number is the five digits; because they are on the bottom bracket, we understand that the bike is pre-war; (seat tube mast for post war). The other stamping is a date-place code; and looks like “04–EH” — the 04 is a reverse code for 1940. The letters reflect the Excelsior-Hawthorne factory in Michigan City Indiana (closer than the NY factory was to customer MW in Chicago).
I believe that the dash “—” in between the date and place codes may have been discontinued post war.
Stamping might read 14–EH or 24–EH(?).
Thank you sir for this additional information. I’ll start a new thread to avoid posting problems.

Back