When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

please Help ID my childhood Klunker

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
vintage-bicycle-sears-austria-puch_1_e10b95ea2f4350a1e2dd74b0b14e6233.jpg

Here is a non lug frame President. The branding has no bearing on features but you guys already knew that !

-----

chainset of machine in listing is Thun/Thompson type

the spindle is permanently affixed to the drive side crank arm

in this design the bottom bracket threads are not employed, although they are likely to be present

it has been established in other forum threads that German produced cycles done for Scheuer were done by Bauer

the Bert Scheuer Co. launched 1931

here is a photo of a Thompson type chainset where both sides are cottered; posted to illustrate bottom bracket assembly:

-----

Great detail.
The one on my machine :) (as you like to say) was troublesome. The memories are a bit foggy but this one not so much.
I like the rules here regarding not deleting prices and pics as they serve a historical purpose. This is opposite of rare muscle car forums where the good stuff is kept secret often times from public convo. Perhaps this thread will eventually be a “catch all” for European Muscle Bikes from this small era.
I am excited about finding a frame. Next stop is Europe itself. The collective knowledge and willingness to give time to others on The Cabe is impressive. I’m going to hang around. I have the mini road bike to figure out and my Grandfather passed away in 1949 and I have pics of 2 of his bikes to share soon. These were in Victoria as well so could be obscure too.

-----

Kerry,

note regarding frame head on your cycle's frame -

as you look at examples of "muscle"/Stingray type bicycles you will notice that most of their frames are constructed with either lugless ("welded" in Brit terminology) or bulge-formed heads, as with the CCM models posted earlier in the discussion

for readers unfamiliar with bulge-forming here is the web site of the company which has produced millions of frame heads on cycles imported into North America from Japan

the apparent head lugs of your steed are a helpful clue toward narrowing down the possible suspects

am open to the possibility that it may have been manufactured by Steyr but can see nothing conclusive in the details visible in the images provided

here is a closeup view of the head of a Steyr produced cycle done for the Sears & Roebuck company to illustrated the sort of lugs used

-----

Excellent pic and beautiful lines. I can now see the lines better on previous bikes we discussed. The Puch on the previous page while ornate is different than the above example. The Raleigh example is lugged but not as ornate and their symmetrical pattern is consistent to their brand. Lastly my machine’s head now appears very much like your newly provided example. I’m going to hold out for the right frame. I can shuffle through prospects much better, starting now. The hunt in retrospect is often the fondest part of the find.
thanks so much

A good forum for German bikes is at:
They are always interested in the swoopy styled export bikes. Domestic market German muscle bikes were called "bonanzarad" and there are some forums devoted to them out there, but I don't know where.

And for what it's worth, a translation site called DeepL does a much better job of machine translation than google translate!

-----

Hello again Kerry,

wrt your local B.C. cycle importer/distributors -

you mentioned BRC above

this is the marque of Boyes & Rosser located in Richmond

at least some of their product was produced in Japan by Maruishi

another local name is that of Deelite & its cousin Apollo

these badges come from the firm of Fred Deeley Cycles Ltd. of Vancouver

this firm launched in 1914 offering motorcycles

in the late 1960's they began doing bicycles which were produced in Japan by Kuwahara

then there is Norco with their subsidiary badge Fiori

most products from this importer were done in Japan by MIKI and by Yamaguchi although other vendors were employed as well...

---

side note on Thompson type chainsets -

as you have likely sussed by now there are several varieties of these

one not as yet mentioned is the type where the spindle is permanently affixed to the drive side arm and non-drive side arm mounts with a combination of splines & a pinchbolt

the chainset on your bicycle "appears" it may have a cotter on the drive side but it is difficult to be sure...

-----

Andrew this is very good intel. I have made a good friend in Germany through a car restoration. We have emailed one another almost daily for 10 yrs. He does everything with online translation. We have navigated extremely detailed sub assemblies etc. We have a shipper exporter for parts based in NY as well. Point being connects are available here if comes to that. I look forward to checking this new lead out. thank you.
Hello mister juvela,
I am glad to keep you engaged as you are accelerating my needed bike 101 and it’s appreciated. There are far more interesting species out there to pontificate.
We have a positive ID on my drive side cotter. I came here with some confidence the bike was in fact a BRC head badged piece. It was an older bike by at least 5 years by 1976. I read by a former employee that some BRC were Korean and perhaps a connect to Kia. The missing head badge makes it tough but it did help my memory. The ornate lines came around to the front of the head as an outline to a actual badge not decal. Not sure why I am remembering this but perhaps had seen what my bike was at that time on other kids.
Once again new search directions provided by Cabers ! back to the quarry :)

I am unsure the year of this BRC road bike but possibly in the era of interest. BRC did offer an ornate lugged head at one point. If the parent manufacturer of road bike also had a Stingray type offering it could be a contender. This head looks the part juvela?

-----

Good afternoon Kerry,

Unable to tell very much from the Worthpoint linque...

page loaded balkily for me; may be a browser issue at my end

lugs on yeller feller look like they may issue from Takahashi Press

one avenue of inquiry you might wish to explore would be to search if there are any back Boyes & Rosson catalogues posted online

-----

Last edited:
Back