When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

please Help ID my childhood Klunker

-
So the Deeley dealio was a fun rabbit hole. It would be great to have that historic affiliation. Now that we are dialing in regional brands with my bikes features it leans towards being just that. BRC and Deeley offerings seem to be turning up great results. There are several discussions of bikeforums.net but it will not allow me to view pics and the text is strange. I may need to join in order to review the archived convos. They reference the subject as Deeley Apollos.
i recently relocated from So Cal relatively close to Victoria but state side. It was an enjoyable 33 year adventure but also glad to be “home” again. I can turn Vancouver and Victoria upside down scouting for my youth.

Slick 26” Triumph Rodeo sold by Deeley

Deeley road bike of the vintage?

The Purple Deelite Hustler. click on contact seller for a great run down on Deeley.

The Orange Deelite Hustler

The Purple Hustler and this Raleigh look to have my bars prior to installing the Black BMX ones.

66282DC7-91C0-4ADA-BA42-355E325DC04E.jpeg

14A2AEB1-9216-4AA0-90FB-C8199D767A6A.jpeg

4DFAAF6E-DBBF-46F8-B098-9644823A3221.jpeg

-----

Have had a 19" red Deelite road frame the same as your orange and green examples hanging in me racks for about forty yar. It looks to date from ~1971.

Centurion is a badge created by a distributor located in Los Angeles. The subject cycle shown in the listing is the base model road termed Le Mans. If one were to peel away the Deelite transfer on the top tube they might discover the Le Mans transfer beneath it. Appears to date from near to 1971.

Information found on Boyes & Rosser suggests that many/most of their products were manufactured by Maruishi so you might want to look online to see if you can find any back catalogues from this maker. Most of their product which reached North America was private labelled rather than self badged.

---

-----

Last edited:
Is there a shared relationship of common designs? In other words can an identical design lug frame be found from Japanese and German manufacturers or are they different lugged designs. Can a Puch with Stumey Archer components share the same frame design as a Kuwahara with Shimano 333. Seems like a dumb question perhaps but the cross over between frame designs and components makes the search perhaps larger than needed.

My bike had a Shimano 333 coaster hub and it was part of the cool factor. Perhaps not merited since I have no fail report on hubs but as kids we looked at bikes for this marque on other kids bikes. The European offerings have stumey archer. The Japanese have Shimano. Is this correct ? Is there a time line for the Shimano 333 Type A Coaster? I still think they they look coolio

If I could draw a frame from either European origin or Japanese it would open up the possibilities. If my bike is a 68-72 vintage and Japanese origin it will be importer branded. If it’s European it could be either factory branded or importer branded.

I’m finding every combo of features but not all together at once. The Frame Lugging combined with straighter than most lower double tubes is scarce thus far. I can dress the desired frame with Shimano.

Bikes that I would like to see more examples of include:

BRC Jaguar

Deeley Hustler

Raleigh Mountie

Stelber Indie

Royce Union Sport Hi-Riser

On a different note… admiring bikes and reading stories from Cabers is captivating. I literally avoided bikes knowing I would fall hard. Its always been in the works. There are several avenues I intend to explore but will keep my powder dry until this little time piece is back in the fold ha. Back to the quarry :)

66035AC6-6036-48B6-8419-592071840011.jpeg

EBD765E2-D9E0-4FBC-900C-953E57C4F1D8.jpeg

Last edited:
-----

regarding frame construction materials across national borders

in general, a frame produced in Japan will use only materials from that nation

in general, European constructed bicycles do not usually employ any asian frame materials, Belgium is one striking exception to this general rule

within Europe there is a great deal of cross border use of frame construction materials

with respect to 3-speed hubs it is fairly common to find non-Japan cycles which employ the Shimano 3-speed

-----

Good morning @juvela notes taken Ty

Here we have the lugged Executive vs the non lugged President with matching components. Both appear to have the straighter than stingray double lower cross tube I’m smitten with !

-----

note that both machines exhibit Thun type chainsets and stamped aluminum sheet fork crown caps

---

me last visitation to your town was on twenty september Anno Domini MMI

one thing recalled was a blue birdbath in the front yard of a gift shoppe

it was so beautifully made wondered if ceramic or metal - had a majolica look

a very nice shopkeeper saw me and stepped out to explain who and how it was made

was staying with some friends in Langley

---

Vancouver Island -

me parents honeymooned there in august of Anno Domini MCMXXXVI at Ladysmith

[and yes they had automobiles with 'lectric startin' back then...]

-----

I appreciate that you would take the time to follow and offer me this frame. The lower bars look very good. The top bar bend is exaggerated closer to the seat post on yours and mine is mid point or even closer to head before the kick up. My intent is to recreate the exact bike based on the blurry pics and memories. I have the time and it’s only my second week on the job :)

Back