When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help identify this frame and mismatched parts

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Welcome, and like the guys said, make it your own. Build it to your taste and enjoy. You'll have the satisfaction of keeping another classic on the road.

You probably have $150 in parts there if you decide to part it out.

That is an overstatement IMO.
I believe this postwar frame is essentially an AMC, past the Cleveland Welding glory days, no badge and condition is poor.
Just keeping it real so you don't end up in a money pit... but hey if you like it and have time and money to spent, go for it, but I'd cut bait.
Chris

That is an overstatement IMO.
I believe this postwar frame is essentially an AMC, past the Cleveland Welding glory days, no badge and condition is poor.
Just keeping it real so you don't end up in a money pit... but hey if you like it and have time and money to spent, go for it, but I'd cut bait.
Chris

This is still a Cleveland built frame. Once AMF moved to Arkansas in 1956 the quality dropped. The frames sell for $75 on eBay all day long. It's definitely not worth restoring, but it's worth building. The bones are there for a nice rider.

Here is one of my 1950 CWC customs for inspiration
0949CC17A3C448759C80EF7A36C79540-1.jpg

Agreed that you're probably going to spend some money on this one. Maybe you'll buy another bike for parts, Then you might have to buy another parts bike to complete the parts bike you just bought because you just can't get rid of the second parts bike. Then you start having all these spare parts. Then you think you need to have a complete original bike. Then you look around and see that you're garage is beginning to fill up with old bikes and parts. Then you're parking the car outside. Then my friend, you're hooked.

I only paid 55 dollars for the bike, I have several all original middleweights that are in much better condition than this one. The only reason I bought this is to build a klunker out of it and I was only interested in the frame. I figured for that price I could sell all of the parts to recoup my money if the frame was junk. I didn't want to turn anything that looked remotely complete into a klunker so I was looking for something like this one. Thanks all for the replys. Ryan

What is the deal with these frames and the driveside chainstay wearing through? I have a frame that is pretty much the same as this with the same frame damage. I paid $5 for mine as a bare frame without a fork.

That damage I think pretty much is the final nail in the coffin on your particular bike. I suppose it could be welded up although if you're planning on making it into a true Klunker, I would not be hitting any jumps on it or doing any real amount of offroading with it.

I'm not sure what happened there either, I plan on welding the tube back up and seeing how it rides, I'm a certified welder so I figured it was worth a shot. The bike will get some trail time for sure but nothing too drastic and I figured if the frame ends up breaking I can always get another frame and swap everything over.

Nice, I'm building a Klunker out of a 47 CWC frame right now. Be sure to post pics, I would like to see it.

The cranks on these bikes bent a lot, and people kept riding them so it wore through the frame. I had one like that as well, just welded it back up.

View attachment 246388
003.JPG
008.JPG

I have posted this bike before in the "Rat Rod Thread and only post it now as to illustrate what can be built from junk laying around. This bike is a true suppository of parts.
I think I paid 40 bucks that initially included the frame..fork ...crank and chain ring.
Sure it's a rolling hunk of slapped together junk.....but it rides nice and when folks see it I hear something like, "what a cool old bike, is it a Schwinn?" I tell them it's a Hawthorne with Schwinn rims but they don't understand what I am saying.
Rather then have spare parts that I would have kept buried in some forgotten box they're on a bike that I can ride and enjoy.:o

Back