When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

please help identify this schwinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
D

Dvotion

This bike has been in the family for a long time, I am planning on restoring it lightly and giving it to my girlfriend so it can enjoy many more miles. What is it? It has a badge on the fender that says "Hiawatha."

Can anyone point me in the right direction for...
I want to buy new period tires for it...
Are new spokes attainable?
Is there anywhere for correct color spray paint or touchup?

photo.JPG

Also, the seat post uses a mounting system I've never seen. Is there anyway to convert to the modern two rail system? I'm kind of partial to the Brooks saddles, would that be blasphemy?

Hiawatha brand bicycles were sold by the Gambles Hardware stores. Most Hiawatha bicycles were manufactured by the Cleveland Welding Company or the Shelby Manufacturing Company, however some were made by Murray of Ohio and Huffman Mfg. Yours looks to be 40's 50's ish? Looks like its in good condition, though. As for the Brooks Saddle - Its your bike :)

Something lead me to believe it was a schwinn?is Hiawatha a subsidy or speciality? It has a schwinn emblem on the seat tube.

Ya I would say it is a Schwinn. Looks to be late 40s. Missing a chain guard. Since it has sentimental value, try just cleaning it up, replace with original parts and ride it!

the color is called "DX Blue" and it ts a schwinn made from 1946-1953 anly the numbers will tell when it was made

My apologies - I thought you already knew it was a Schwinn and were asking the origin of the fenders (Hiawatha) Sorry! It still looks nice, thought :p

The hiawatha emblem is just an add on from another bike. The rest is all Schwinn. I would wax her up and ride it.

wow, thanks for all the responses!

So the hiawatha emblem is just like an addon? not an original piece with the bike?

what about tires? is there a source for period type tires ?

Ebay for tires, just search "Typhoon" tires. I'd go with white walls, and you should get a Schwinn badge for it too. These are very good riding bikes. I would say NO to a Brooks on this bike. IMHO

Back