When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help identify this TOC 24" racer... Hendee Indian?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
Howdy folks... Once again I call upon the collective brain trust of the CABE to help me solve a mystery. In this case, it's a TOC 24" racer that's badged Iver Johnson (although clearly not an Iver Johnson). What I know of the bicycle is that I bought it out of a barn in New Hampshire where it had been sitting since the 60s. The previous owner had won it and some other TOC parts at a farm auction and was going to outfit the bike for his son, but time got away from him and his son quickly outgrew the bike. The original paint appears to be red. The Iver Johnson badge doesn't quite fit with the very bottom tip folded under. In the pictures below I've tried to highlight the key spots in the hopes of getting a positive ID. I've done some comparison to @hoofhearted Patric's 24" Hendee Indian Special Racer and there are both similarities and differences. The fork and chain adjusters appear to be identical. The headset bearing cups are different, but the angled nature of mine is a Hendee trademark I believe. The seat stays have a different profile from Patric's. Anyhow, any and all help is appreciated and additional photos can be provided upon request. Thanks in advance!

-Lester

Since racing bicycles are relatively rare, I'm curious why we're assuming the bike is a racer. All TOC bikes were lighter and more sporting than 20th century machines, and TOC frames show fewer clues to their purpose than modern ones. In this case it's hard to tell from what I see. TOC men's/boys' bikes had neither chain guards nor fender eyelets on their dropouts. Any original TOC bike was fixed gear, whether roadster, 'scorcher,' or racer. Tire width varied with fashion. There wasn't much differentiation in frame geometry like we expect today. This bike has conventional handlebars turned upside down, and from what I see could possibly be a racer but just as easily be a roadster.

Last edited:
My 1896 Crescent No.1 Bicycle is identical to the racer version. The only difference is the paint color, pedal arm length, although mine has the optional pedal arm length.
And the Crescent No.1 Racer has “Racer” script on the diamond badge.
The fun is in the search...
Top photo 1896 Crescent No.1
Bottom photo Crescent Racer is an 1897.

751C4F83-04CE-4DE2-B264-1C1EBE5CFDC6.jpeg

108ECF60-830E-472E-86D7-E9FAF67E9409.jpeg

Last edited:
Often catalogs had different weights for the racer models - most though are psudo racers as they are just regular tubing and relaxed frame angels

Back