When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help identifying an old Schwinn

-

Mark Johnston

Finally riding a big boys bike
IMG_3881.JPG
IMG_3882.JPG
Hi, new guy here in Phoenix. I recently aquired this bike from a friend. It has a 3 speed hub with drum brake. Serial # is J246543 which makes it a 1953 right? What model would this be? Was the springer a special order?

I'm wondering what parts I need to search for to bring it back to at least stock appearance.
Sorry for all
Of the question, and thanks in advance for any help!

The serial number was stamped Sept. 20, 1962. Springer forks were a factory option on some models and could have also been added by an owner or Schwinn dealer. Off the top of my head I can't think of any 1962 models that came standard with a springer fork. Looks like that bike was built frame up with parts that weren't original to the fame. No way now to determine what the original model was.

Are the rims marked S-7 or S-2? I'm guessing it's a middleweight (S-7 rims) but if they're S-2's you could have a Wasp, which would be nice. That was Schwinn's last balloon tire bike.

Thanks for pointing that out @Oilit

If your bike is a ballooner then you lucked out! The only ballooner in 1962 was the Wasp so no guessing there.
You can check the frame for verification.

Balloon frame measurment.PNG

I haven't had time to measure the frame, but regardless of what it was or is I would like opinions on what you guys would do with it.
Leave it be and ride it?
Give it a complete makeover?
Make it a bare bones cruiser?

It is your bike so have at it. It would not be an easy bike to restore but certainly would be a good bike to make a rider. It is not a bike I would sink a lot of money into. Roger

Back