When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help me identify my new project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
J

jjmunster

I picked this up wednesday at a local auction. The badge on the neck says Wards Hawthorne, this is not like my '55 Hawthorne, so I am asking for help. Some parts have been repainted, but they were ver careful not to paint over the gold accents. Has a really cool springer front and I am trying to find out if the shifter is original. The guy who had it rode it in the '50 & '60's, so I was told. It has Western Auto Davis Deluxe tires that still hold air. On the bottom of the crank, the numbers read: 14-EH 125946. Any help would be great. If it would help, I can email a picture. Thanks, John.

Attachments

• Bike 001.JPG
    Bike 001.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:
yeah that looks like a early to mid 40's hawethorne, I might be able to get you a new fork I have the same one that isn't bent.

No, it is missing the rear light. It has a Schwinn seat and Western Flyer grips, but other than that it appears to be complete. The shifter is the only thing that has me puzzled. When I look up 40's info/ads it mentions the 2-speed shifter, but I can only find pictures on the Deluxe model with the tank.

Just found an ad picture of the "New '41 Hawthornes" and this is the deluxe model I believe, just missing the tank.

Once again, I am confused. I thought I had this figured out, but I must be wrong. Every picture that I can find of a '41/42 Hawthorne, the down tube from the neck to the crank is straight. Mine Is curved, and the frame is shorter on mine. It appears to be 2-4 inches shorter than others in overall length. Any ideas now? Does anyone know how to break down the serial # that I found on the underside of the crank? Thanks, John.

It is a '42 De Luxe "V-70's" Victory model! Now all I need is the correct seat, tail light and head light. Would you send me a pic of the "not bent" forks you have and price. Thanks for your help, John.

Back