When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PLEASE POST YOUR BUILD SHEETS ORDER FORMS so we can know what is right

-
1939 Colson 1940?

Stolen from member tanksalot Thanksalot!

colsonbuildsheet1939.jpg

colsonbuildsheetback.jpg

colsonbuildsheet1939.jpg

colsonbuildsheetback.jpg

Last edited:
I stumbled across a couple of threads about Obi finding that build sheet in his old blue '39 C-Model, which a local Caber now owns and I have seen before and forgotten about. So I decided to take a look in my bikes just to see. And guess what, the first bike (38) I looked in had one:
IMG_4993 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4995 (Medium).JPG

But unfortunately it was only the bottom half and pretty shredded. I could make out the SB30x12 bars and some other options but pretty beat:

IMG_4996 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4998 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5053 (Medium).JPG

Still pretty cool. So I pulled the post on my 37 Roadster I have had forever and low and behold:

IMG_5054 (Medium).JPG

Another roached up build sheet, but still some cool stuff on there. My last prewar Schwinn came up snake eyes, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. That got me thinking - I wonder how many I've never found because I didn't know where to look? How many other build sheets are out there in collections that are waiting to share their secrets?

On to the next post for more...

So yesterday I rolled up to onecatahula's place to check out his ML scores. I brought my flashlight and told him about my build sheets. You can guess what happened next - we were running around with a 9/16" ripping saddles off and peering down every seat tube he had.

Yup, found 2 more. One in a housepainted frame he found at ML so don't think it has to be an original unmolested bike. Check it:

IMG_5016 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5017.JPG
IMG_5018 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5020 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5021 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5023 (Medium).JPG

Notice the paint color sample on both of them. Obi wisely suggested the factory likely left them sticking half way out during paint, and stuffed them down in the seat tube during final assembly.

So prewar Schwinn owners - please take a look down the seat tubes of your bikes. You may have something hiding in there and it would be fun to post them all up on this thread to share with everyone. I had a blast finding mine and helping Pete with his discoveries.

Amazing those build sheets lasted as well as they did! And I have to wonder when they stopped that practice.

Where do you guys find all these old build sheets?!

I mean, it's not like restoring a car where the build sheet is hidden in the car seat, door, 1/4 panel, or behind the dash. It's hard to hide a build sheet inside a bike, much less for it to be retrievable or even legible.

These bikes weren't classic nor collectible 50 years ago, so the build sheets probably got tossed with the manuals and receipts. HOW do you guys find them? Where are they?
kudos to you for asking THE question....

Order forms are cool to see what options there were and are usually found outside of the bike
Build sheets usually found in the seat tube or fork.

Back