When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POISON APPLE: '79 Schwinn Fair Lady Trike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Wow All that buildup and we have to wait? Sounds like it is turning out right!
Don't worry, I just shot a few half-decent photos on my phone a few minutes ago. I'm getting everything copied over to my external hard drives right now, then I can edit and post everything, hopefully by tomorrow.

Okay, I was finally able to pickup the trike parts from my Dad's shop today, and start mocking up everything... again. This time, I started by mocking up my other trike axle on the Fair Lady frame. I had originally intended to use this axle on a Sears Space/Flightliner girls' frame so I could mount some Cragars or Rockets on the rear, but now I'm thinking about using that axle/wheel combo on this trike at a later date.
bftd_poison_apple147-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple148-jpg.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo, but this trike hub is a 3-speed coaster brake hub. That should come in handy later.
bftd_poison_apple149-jpg.jpg

Again, sorry for the bad photos, but here's why I'm so excited for this trike project again: I changed the way I mounted the springer fork. I took a lot of inspiration from @Reallybigtim's bikes, which usually use a lowrider-style springer, and decided to test his technique with the cruiser-style springer fork I have. The initial result looks awesome! The chain guard and frame sit nearly level now, the trike looks more "chopper-like" with a longer-looking fork, and the pedals nearly touch the ground it's so low!
bftd_poison_apple150-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple151-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple152-jpg.jpg

The only thing I don't like is that the seat-to-handlebar height ratio. The seat has to sit high for me to sit and pedal comfortably, even though it doesn't look as good, but the handlebars sit too low compared to the seat, even though they look great where they are. One solution is to just get a taller pair of ape hangers. The other is to do what I had initially intended to do: move the seat down and above the rear axle, maybe even a little bit behind it, and make the handlebars longer, but still sit relatively low.

Now that I've seen the trike like this, I think I know what direction I'd ultimately like to push this trike in the end. It's going to be a while until I get to that point, but I'll definitely want to keep improving this trike whenever I get the time and money to do so. In the meantime, I'm just going to use what I have, and just find a bigger set of handlebars and 3 new wheels so I can get this trike functional until I can afford to build it the way I really want.

I'll try to get better photos soon, and maybe even post the time-lapse video I shot of me mocking up the parts earlier this evening.

That new set up on springer really changes the look. Definitely gives a lot more of a chopper vibe like you said. I need one of those 3 speed trike set ups. I will be keeping my eye out. This is getting more exciting then most television shows. Nice work

That new set up on springer really changes the look. Definitely gives a lot more of a chopper vibe like you said. I need one of those 3 speed trike set ups. I will be keeping my eye out. This is getting more exciting then most television shows. Nice work
Yeah, it does! You're on the best site to find one! That's how I got mine. Thanks Coaster! I'll do my best to keep this program entertaining!

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME PICTURES?! BECAUSE HERE THEY COME!

The weather ended up being better than expected today, so I made sure to get a bunch of good photos of yesterday's mockup. After getting Poison Apple out where I could see it from all angles, I am 100% convinced that this is the stance this trike needs. I'm so stoked, I almost want to skip making this trike just rideable and functional, and just skip to making this trike as wicked as it can be. Almost. Budget constraints and a desire to get this thing riding ASAP tell me the wilder stuff can wait until I buckle down and get a job.

bftd_poison_apple153-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple154-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple155-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple156-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple157-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple158-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple159-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple160-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple161-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple162-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple163-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple164-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple165-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple166-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple167-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple168-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple169-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple170-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple171-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple172-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple173-jpg.jpg

There is less than an inch of clearance between the ground and the pedal when angled like this. SO LOW!
bftd_poison_apple174-jpg.jpg

Okay, given that this is my first springer fork, upside down or not, is the bearing supposed to be exposed like that? I don't know if this springer fork is missing any pieces as this is how I got it when it was attached to The Trashliner Trike.
bftd_poison_apple175-jpg.jpg

That's all for now. I'll fiddle around with that time-lapse video in Final Cut Pro and see if I can get it uploaded to YouTube sometime this week. In the meantime, I'm going to sketch some new renderings of the trike, in both its "good enough/get it done" stage, and in its final, "all out" form. Hopefully I'll at least get those done by the end of this week. I'm also going to visit one of my contacts in OKC to possibly get some better 24" wheels on Tuesday.

Stay tuned, more to come!

Stance is dead on! Yes it low but if ridable by a human than it doesn't matter. Springer bearing are not supposed to exposed. Someone put it on upside down! There is a bike that has a sheet metal cover for headset that would solve it. Might be 50's Evans? Now where are you going to sit? Seat and rider should be to the rear for balanced look. You need some radical bars that come all the way back to rider. Not sure what the geometry will end up as when a turn is needed. Details! Very cool trike!

Stance is dead on! Yes it low but if ridable by a human than it doesn't matter. Springer bearing are not supposed to exposed. Someone put it on upside down! There is a bike that has a sheet metal cover for headset that would solve it. Might be 50's Evans? Now where are you going to sit? Seat and rider should be to the rear for balanced look. You need some radical bars that come all the way back to rider. Not sure what the geometry will end up as when a turn is needed. Details! Very cool trike!
Thanks! I love the stance, I just hope my weight doesn't lower it so much that the pedals scrape the ground. I do have a smaller crank arm that might solve that, though. Hahaha! Now why would anyone mount a springer fork steerer tube upside down? ;) Maybe I could see if that little bearing retainer comes off so I could slide something over it.If that doesn't come off, then I might have to have my welder fabricate something to fix that. As for the seat, I'm just going to use the original seat post and just get a taller set of ape hangers so I can ride it around. It won't look that great, but it'll work for the budget I have right now. Ultimately, I still want the seat to sit down low and far back, right between the rear wheels, with some long handlebars reaching back to me. I'll be sketching up some concepts later this week. As for the steering geometry, I have no idea. I'll just use my arms and see what happens! :laughing:

FN killer look , the stance is right on never would have thought to set up springer like that. The lower bearing race on most forks is exposed like that but you dont see it because it is upside down and water can not run into it. You will have to fabricate something for that.

Back