When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POISON APPLE: '79 Schwinn Fair Lady Trike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@Bike from the Dead purple power, dawn dish soap, gas, brake clean, carb cleaner, rags, & Dollar Tree wire brushes.

I have thrown bearings in Gojo citrus hand cleaner with some dawn & water; the gritty citrus helps remove the inner crude in the cages (dilute just enough not to be runny) & agitate/shake it about every hour or until content. I also then use Red & Tacky for my repacking. Otherwise I ziploc bag & sharpie wtf they came out of; sucks having so many bb bearings & not remembering if they came from The China factory in a hurry
I know I have a few of those things, but I'm not sure I have all of that. Are those all different options, or do you mix them all together?

I know I have a few of those things, but I'm not sure I have all of that. Are those all different options, or do you mix them all together?
I mean you could but I wouldn't suggest it; might be napalm hazardous!

If you have any of that handy it works. The Hand cleaner & dawn / water is if you want an inside do able leisure way. It works but unconventional to some

I once mixed all kinds of different flammable stuff together when I was 13 & it started melting a plastic gas jug !!! Was kinda cool but made for 1 helluva fire starter camping in my buddy's back yard burning hardwoods in the dead of winter

Well, here we go again. I was all set up to sandblast my parts today, and I immediately ran into some problems. The sandblaster wasn't blasting any sand.
Strike one.

Dad thinks there's a clog in the nozzle, which had happened before. So, he busts out some pipe wrenches to try and remove the nozzle so it can be fixed. He can't get it to budge; it's on too tight. He tries harder, and the aluminum housing around the nozzle breaks into several pieces.
bftd_poison_apple193-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple194-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple195-jpg.jpg

Strike two.

Dad suggests I take everything over to a shop where he sends stuff to get sandblasted, except they charge $100 per hour. I'm not about to pay someone $100-$300 to do something I could do myself at my Dad's shop, especially when money's as tight as it is for me right now. So, I'll have to wait until Dad can remove the busted nozzle and replace it before I can try again.
Strike three, I'm out of the game.

There is no way now that I'm going to get this trike at least powder coated and functionally assembled by March 15th now. However, as much as this sucks, this might be a blessing in disguise.

What I'm going to do now is focus on other parts of the build that don't require sandblasting/powder coating. I'm going to try Evaporust on all my chrome parts and wheel spokes, figure out the tank and storage box, decide how I'm going to add some fenders, design decals for the trike, and figure out any other small details while I'm waiting to sandblast everything else.

I'll keep the updates coming, just going to have to do everything in a slightly different order.

Well, here we go again. I was all set up to sandblast my parts today, and I immediately ran into some problems. The sandblaster wasn't blasting any sand.
Strike one.

Dad thinks there's a clog in the nozzle, which had happened before. So, he busts out some pipe wrenches to try and remove the nozzle so it can be fixed. He can't get it to budge; it's on too tight. He tries harder, and the aluminum housing around the nozzle breaks into several pieces.
View attachment 1369657
View attachment 1369658
View attachment 1369659
Strike two.

Dad suggests I take everything over to a shop where he sends stuff to get sandblasted, except they charge $100 per hour. I'm not about to pay someone $100-$300 to do something I could do myself at my Dad's shop, especially when money's as tight as it is for me right now. So, I'll have to wait until Dad can remove the busted nozzle and replace it before I can try again.
Strike three, I'm out of the game.

There is no way now that I'm going to get this trike at least powder coated and functionally assembled by March 15th now. However, as much as this sucks, this might be a blessing in disguise.

What I'm going to do now is focus on other parts of the build that don't require sandblasting/powder coating. I'm going to try Evaporust on all my chrome parts and wheel spokes, figure out the tank and storage box, decide how I'm going to add some fenders, design decals for the trike, and figure out any other small details while I'm waiting to sandblast everything else.

I'll keep the updates coming, just going to have to do everything in a slightly different order.
Man use The Works toilet bowl cleaner for the rusty stuff. Usually a $1 bottle if you have a Dollar Tree store. Shouldn't be much any where else either. Sucks about the sand blaster but you could buy a harbor freight deal for reasonable if you have plenty of flow able media. Play sand Does Not flow.

Man use The Works toilet bowl cleaner for the rusty stuff. Usually a $1 bottle if you have a Dollar Tree store. Shouldn't be much any where else either. Sucks about the sand blaster but you could buy a harbor freight deal for reasonable if you have plenty of flow able media. Play sand Does Not flow.
How do you dispose of The Works after you're done using it? Flush it down the toilet? Can't argue with that price, but I know Evaporust is reusable at least. I'll see if Harbor Freight has sandblaster nozzles, but still, it's Harbor Freight. Their tools aren't exactly known for their longevity. Still, even a cheap, temporary solution might work, if we can figure out how to remove the broken remains of the last nozzle from the sandblaster hose.

After the debacle with the sandblaster, I decided to switch gears and work on the tank next. I needed to mock up the trike again (seriously, how many times have I disassembled/reassembled this trike?) so I could figure out how much clearance I had with the springer fork. I used the 20 inch wheel up front since all my 24 inch wheels are disassembled.
bftd_poison_apple196-jpg.jpg

I also found yesterday that I didn't have any wood with the right dimensions for the tank, and while Dad might have some scraps I can use, it looks like I'll possibly be shopping for materials today.

How do you dispose of The Works after you're done using it? Flush it down the toilet? Can't argue with that price, but I know Evaporust is reusable at least. I'll see if Harbor Freight has sandblaster nozzles, but still, it's Harbor Freight. Their tools aren't exactly known for their longevity. Still, even a cheap, temporary solution might work, if we can figure out how to remove the broken remains of the last nozzle from the sandblaster hose.
Yeah down the toilet. I usually use it until you can't. I have strained it multiple times before when I was soaking a motorcycle gas tank. Just through an old t shirt or something similar. Can always put it back into a sealable jug for storage

Back