When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POISON APPLE: '79 Schwinn Fair Lady Trike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@1motime I wonder would those rim lights from Walmart or such places give that look under the fenders? They're strings that alternate colors and I think clip on ?

Progress report for Sunday and Monday: Dad told me of a buddy of his who has a bunch of Model A parts, including fenders, that might work for Poison Apple. He had stuff he needed to drop off with/pick up from him anyway, so my dad, my brother and I all went together to Dad's storage building to unload some stuff that was in Dad's truck, and in my case, drop off and pick up some bike parts.

I don't know if any of you saw my post on the Bike I.D. and Value Questions thread, but I have this little 20" kids' bike, The Mini Mystery Muscle Bike. I'd love to enter into the MBBO, but I haven't had any luck finding someone who can take apart the bottom bracket due to how it seems to be an old, old european design. Because of those complications, I had just stuck the thing in storage, figuring I'd use it as wall decor or something. Well, after putting the original wheels from my Schwinn Fair Lady on it, I now seriously want to try and find someone who knows how to service the bottom bracket on this bike so I can get it riding again!
bftd_mini_mystery_muscle_bike_wheeled_1-jpg.jpg

bftd_mini_mystery_muscle_bike_wheeled_2-jpg.jpg

bftd_mini_mystery_muscle_bike_wheeled_3-jpg.jpg

Once we had picked up/dropped off everything, we all headed to my dad's friend's place. We get there, and I'm already excited because of all the cool old cars parked outside. I didn't have enough time to get pictures of everything there, so I'll just share a few pics of the bikes I saw at his place. By the way, I'm posting these with permission.
bftd_potential_projects_4-jpg.jpg

bftd_potential_projects_1-jpg.jpg

bftd_potential_projects_2-jpg.jpg

Anyone able to tell what kind of bike this is? It looks like a Snyder frame, but it's missing the head badge and even the owner isn't sure.
bftd_potential_projects_7-jpg.jpg

Out of all the bikes this guy has, this Huffy Thunderbird struck my curiosity the most. It's a nice looking bike with a cool fender ornament and a flashlight mount on the handlebars, but that's not what got my attention.
bftd_potential_projects_3-jpg.jpg

bftd_potential_projects_5-jpg.jpg

bftd_potential_projects_6-jpg.jpg

It was the head badge that got my attention. The reason why is because I've bought parts from G. Oscar Bicycles on multiple occasions. For those of you who aren't around Tulsa, G. Oscar's is a local bike shop that's been around since the '90s in a building that's been around since the '20s, and while the guy is starting to sell more of his art and photography than his bikes, he's still got a bunch of cool old bikes that would be great for a Rat Rod Bikes Build Off! So to find a vintage bike that came from his shop over an hour away from his location, that's pretty cool. Turns out my dad's friend is open to selling it, and while the price is nice, I need to finish this trike and my other bikes before I bring another project home. I might get it after Christmas, we'll see.
bftd_potential_projects_9-jpg.jpg

There were also these 2 wheels with some fat tires on them. Might get these later too. Any idea what kind of coaster brake that is?
bftd_potential_projects_8-jpg.jpg

Here's what may become the fenders for my trike: a 1930s-ish spare tire cover ring. My dad's friend gave this too me for free because it's rough, but it might work. At the very least, it'll help me know what to get if it can't be fixed. It's just the right size and contour to make a set of fenders. It's not the style I was aiming for, but it'll work.
bftd_poison_apple47-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple48-jpg.jpg

Did some more figuring yesterday. I'm trying to figure out how to use the parts I have to modify the frame, so I don't have to pay someone to get materials or to bend tubing as much as I could. Basically, I'm going for slicing and splicing the frame, so that my regular welder, Joe, can do most of the work for me, since I know what to expect from him. He can't bend tubing for me, but he can cut and weld anything I bring him. Here I'm lining up the top and bottom tubes of a Schwinn Hollywood frame I have with the Fair Lady's frame to see if I like the angle of the headset angled back. It could work, but I feel the angle's much to drastic. I need something a little more conservative.
bftd_poison_apple49-jpg.jpg

I traced and cut a template of the top tube of my Schwinn straightbar frame that was ruined during this year's RRBBO to see about using it to convert this frame into a boys' frame. I then took some scrap wire and painter's tape to mock up the revised tank design I have in mind.
bftd_poison_apple50-jpg.jpg

Here you can see the "apple seed" shape I'm going for with the opening.
bftd_poison_apple51-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple52-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple53-jpg.jpg

Here are 3 of the frames that might donate their steel for this build. First is a 1960s Schwinn Hollywood that I was originally planning on using with another identical frame to make a custom side-by-side quadricycle, but since I haven't done anything with either frame so far, I'd just rather use it to help build this trike.
bftd_poison_apple54-jpg.jpg

Next is one that I hate to cut up, but it's a little too far gone fro me now: my 1950's Schwinn straightbar frame, Junk Mail, named so as it once served as a mailbox post some indeterminate time ago. If you didn't see my RRBBO thread earlier this year, I sent this over to a guy to try and remove the seat post, only for the guy to completely ruin this frame. I thought about trying to save it, but now, I'd rather just salvage it for frame parts. I shot a photo of it upside down because I have an idea of how to use the headset and top tube of this frame, but it'll make more sense if I draw it than try to explain it.
bftd_poison_apple55-jpg.jpg

Last is the original frame to The Trashliner Trike, which I robbed parts off of to build this trike. This frame has a good combo of 1" and 1/2" tubing that could help with modifying the Fair Lady frame, and it'd be fitting, too, as a piece of this frame would still live on as a trike.
bftd_poison_apple56-jpg.jpg

Here's another idea: on the Fair Lady frame, the seat stays go from roughly 1/2" tubing by the dropouts to to 5/8" tubing by the seat tube. I want to add cantilever style bars to the frame to add some structure and a tank. Problem is, there isn't a ton of 5/8" tubing on any of my bike frames. However, the seat stays on my Hollywood frames follow the same change in diameter as the Fair Lady frame. I'm thinking of cutting the seat stays off of this bike, flipping them so they face forwards toward the headset, splicing the 2 5/8" sections together at the seat tube, cutting them at the point they become 1/2", and splicing some 1/2" tubing from the Trashliner frame at that point, and then to the frame itself.

I'll try and draw some examples later today to better illustrate what I'm talking about.
bftd_poison_apple57-jpg.jpg

bftd_poison_apple58-jpg.jpg

That's it for now. I'm just about done working on my dad's present, so once I wrap that up, I'll start illustrating my plans for modifying this frame.

Back