When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POISON APPLE: '79 Schwinn Fair Lady Trike

-
Minor update, but I just typed up a task list to help me organize what's left to do to get Poison Apple done on time. The task list is liable to change, and just because I ordered it a certain way doesn't mean that's the order in which things will be done, but it'll help break down the remainder of the build into smaller bites so I hopefully don't develop another bad case of burnout.

Here's that list:
  • Figure out if I’m going to have fenders
  • Figure out how to mount tank to frame
  • Figure out trike brace mount
  • Figure out decals/stripes for tank, chain guard and fenders (if I add fenders)
  • Figure out nuts on axle ends (regular, round caps, or something crazy, like spikes)
  • Figure out valve stem caps
  • Get rear tires
  • Make trike brace mount
  • Fix trike axle chain guard
  • Tweak bicycle frame chain guard
  • Shine up chrome parts
  • Disassemble wheels
  • Disassemble and clean coaster brake and axle hubs
  • Grease and reassemble coaster brake and axle hubs
  • Sandblast parts
  • Powder coat parts
  • Reassemble wheels
  • Get wheels trued
  • Get rim tape, or narrower electrical tape
  • Mount tubes and tires
  • Color match tank paint to powder
  • Get new bearings for trike axle
  • Clean bearings
  • Grease bearings
  • Reassemble bike
  • Get new chain
  • Make tank
  • Paint tank
  • Mount tank to frame
  • Make box
  • Paint box
  • Add box to bike
  • Decide on seat

Reactions: ian
Minor update, but I just typed up a task list to help me organize what's left to do to get Poison Apple done on time. The task list is liable to change, and just because I ordered it a certain way doesn't mean that's the order in which things will be done, but it'll help break down the remainder of the build into smaller bites so I hopefully don't develop another bad case of burnout.

Here's that list:
  • Figure out if I’m going to have fenders
  • Figure out how to mount tank to frame
  • Figure out trike brace mount
  • Figure out decals/stripes for tank, chain guard and fenders (if I add fenders)
  • Figure out nuts on axle ends (regular, round caps, or something crazy, like spikes)
  • Figure out valve stem caps
  • Get rear tires
  • Make trike brace mount
  • Fix trike axle chain guard
  • Tweak bicycle frame chain guard
  • Shine up chrome parts
  • Disassemble wheels
  • Disassemble and clean coaster brake and axle hubs
  • Grease and reassemble coaster brake and axle hubs
  • Sandblast parts
  • Powder coat parts
  • Reassemble wheels
  • Get wheels trued
  • Get rim tape, or narrower electrical tape
  • Mount tubes and tires
  • Color match tank paint to powder
  • Get new bearings for trike axle
  • Clean bearings
  • Grease bearings
  • Reassemble bike
  • Get new chain
  • Make tank
  • Paint tank
  • Mount tank to frame
  • Make box
  • Paint box
  • Add box to bike
  • Decide on seat
That's all?

That's all?
Well, I could've oversimplified it into just a few bullet points, but I wanted to break things down so that I could frequently have those small victories that'll help me move through this project a lot quicker and easier. If I just said "design, build and paint tank," for instance, then I couldn't cross that off the list until I finished everything that has to do with the tank. By making each stage of the process its own bullet point, I can stand a good chance of crossing at least a few things off the list each week, and maybe even one task per day. That way I don't lose steam and suffer a bad case of burnout.

Ok, I've got some more photos to share today. First, the new front wheel and tire I got earlier this week, on the right. While the color of the wheel may be different, the shape, size, and chrome hub matches the other two wheels. The front tire is a 24" x 1.75", while the two rear tires will be (hopefully) 24" x 2.125", in order to meet the "big and little tire" requirement of the MBBO.
bftd_poison_apple96-jpg.jpg

Next, an idea of how to have a decent looking pair of fenders for the rear, to help hide the trike axle brace. I forgot that I had bought this deep dish fender along with some other parts back in 2019, and unlike the few other deep dishes in my collection of parts, this one's in pretty good shape. I have no idea what sort of bike it's from, but I'm guessing it's either a late prewar or early postwar bike.
bftd_poison_apple97-jpg.jpg
bftd_poison_apple98-jpg.jpg
bftd_poison_apple99-jpg.jpg
bftd_poison_apple100-jpg.jpg
bftd_poison_apple101-jpg.jpg

I mocked up the fender on the trike to see if it would be long enough to make two fenders from one. If I just used the part of the fender after the indentation for the chain guard, I wouldn't have enough material for two fenders. If I could get rid of the dent, then I've got just enough material for both fenders.
bftd_poison_apple102-jpg.jpg

There are a few other issues with this fender idea, though.

First, I really don't know if I want to modify, cut up, and repaint this fender. For starters, it looks older than most everything in my bike collection. It's also in really good shape for its age, with few dents and the original paint still looking salvageable. I don't want to modify something that's in this good of shape as it is. If it was a newer fender, like say from the '50s or later, or a modern reproduction, then I wouldn't really worry about it. If someone could tell me what sort of bike this fender came off of, how old it is, and how much it's probably worth as is, I'd greatly appreciate it.
bftd_poison_apple103-jpg.jpg

Second, even if I do use this fender to make two smaller ones, I'm not sure how I'd mount them, especially around the front horizontal brace of the trike axle frame. I don't want the fenders to look too short, but I also don't want the fenders to have a bar cutting right through the front portion of the fenders.
bftd_poison_apple104-jpg.jpg

So, that's another detail I'm trying to figure out. I'd like to have a pair of green fenders to add some color to the rear of the trike, but I don't have to have fenders on this trike. It would look nicer, I think, but I don't want to sacrifice a really good, really old fender if I or someone else could use it as is.

Reactions: JLF
One way to keep in a budget it to do grinding finish work after welding is done. Keeps the welder happy since he does not have to do everything!
Just a thought!

One way to keep in a budget it to do grinding finish work after welding is done. Keeps the welder happy since he does not have to do everything!
Just a thought!
I'll have to find something to practice on first. I'm not even sure I've got anything better than a belt sander at my disposal right now. Better to leave it to the professionals, in my opinion. Besides, my welder's not too expensive to work with.

Cheap disposable grinder. They last a long time and save time. Get a set of good used hand files. Essential tools if you are going to do lots of metal work
Your welder should have a pile of scrap. Take a few pieces and practice. It can be fun. Use a face shield!

Back