When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poor braking with Morrow prewar hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
there is a part-referenced but not shown in the parts list-it is the 127b lost motion washer. this lost motion washer is used as a 'quick dirty fix' when there is excessive wear throughout the morrow. sometimes its the worn shoes or worn/polished clutch pieces or the two pieces in the brake shoe sleeve are worn and no matter how hard you stomp on the brakes-the bike will not stop(or stops poorly). sometimes the hub has excessive wear because of high mileage and the hub may be polished like a mirror inside! the 'lost motion' is when you go from forward to braking and then go back to forward and the travel is like a half a revolution(or greater) of the crank arms. the lost motion washer is made of copper and drops into the empty hub-the hub is then assembled as usual. the soft copper washer sits in the area that the clutch pieces grab-which have thru time-polished that lip inside the hub(sometimes felt as a temporary 'slip'). the washer serves two purposes-give the clutch something to grab and also 'eat up some distance' so as to engage the brakes sooner. this removes about half the 'lost motion' and gives the rider basically a false sense of 'its fixed'(cuts down on the 'travel of the crank')-works for a while but on really worn hubs you need to do more-reach in the pocket for some jingle. i have used these lost motion washers before with limited success on mildly worn hubs and probably just got lucky.

Last edited:
Finally got around to honing the inside of the shell (to remove the glazing) and cutting some grooves in the brake sleeve (mine was an early example with no grooves) and braking is now about 50% better.

On EBAY there is a seller 'oldbikeguy' that sells these 127b spacers for the Morrow hub. I just checked and this seller doesn't have any listed but I am sure he would list some if you asked. They were very reasonable-like under $10 for two of them. Does anybody know if he is on the C.A.B.E.?

I was thinking the bearing holding the driver used a adjustment cone that fit both early Bendix and morrow. I too was trying to restore OG wheel set for 37motorbike. Gonna keep on trying. I picked up a set of those copper rings+ a replacement brake sleeve - but I have another hub.

i have seen that bendix adjustment cone and bearing(?)used on a morrow but its not for me! you can get those morrow cones n.o.s. from 'bicyclebones' on ebay and he is here on the c.a.b.e. with same name/avatar.

there is a part-referenced but not shown in the parts list-it is the 127b lost motion washer. this lost motion washer is used as a 'quick dirty fix' when there is excessive wear throughout the morrow. sometimes its the worn shoes or worn/polished clutch pieces or the two pieces in the brake shoe sleeve are worn and no matter how hard you stomp on the brakes-the bike will not stop(or stops poorly). sometimes the hub has excessive wear because of high mileage and the hub may be polished like a mirror inside! the 'lost motion' is when you go from forward to braking and then go back to forward and the travel is like a half a revolution(or greater) of the crank arms. the lost motion washer is made of copper and drops into the empty hub-the hub is then assembled as usual. the soft copper washer sits in the area that the clutch pieces grab-which have thru time-polished that lip inside the hub(sometimes felt as a temporary 'slip'). the washer serves two purposes-give the clutch something to grab and also 'eat up some distance' so as to engage the brakes sooner. this removes about half the 'lost motion' and gives the rider basically a false sense of 'its fixed'(cuts down on the 'travel of the crank')-works for a while but on really worn hubs you need to do more-reach in the pocket for some jingle. i have used these lost motion washers before with limited success on mildly worn hubs and probably just got
Good information! I believe I’ll try it soon.

Back