When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pope "Daily Service" Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
half a badge

Yes it appears the top third of the badge where said "Pope" is missing... I'll post better photos of it later in the week.

Nice score!
I have always been facinated with the messinger bikes.
They are to the classic and antique bicycle collector, what the board track racers are to the antique motorcycle crowd.
Down and dirty work horses that exude the personality of the hotshot riders that used them.

Just curious. Where on Long Island did it come from? That's where I live...

The Pope arrived from the east coast this morning, no no not the Pope, the Pope! Unpacked and ready to start going over this beautiful piece. I love the dirt and the aging here, and there is a lot of it! Flaking plate/paint on the chain ring what I imagine to be a service color of blue, but with a green tint perhaps from age/wear. Nickel is peeking through on the forks. The wheels are very interesting, they are heavy spokes, exactly as described in the Pope "Daily Service" literature, the rims appear to be 28" wood hoops with metal cladding on the outer surface where the tire would glue on. The metal cladding is not an insert for clinchers, it is flat all the way across for glue on's. The handlebars are narrow, appear to be of an earlier generation of geometry(?) with a quill bolt directly down through the center of the bars and a locking ring that is perfectly round with a spanner hole in it. The grips are leather wrapped wood. The drive train appears upon initial inspection to spin free. The pope specific crank is intact, cottered crank arms with a slightly smaller diameter bottom bracket than 'american standard'. Skip tooth chain, ND model A rear hub. The pedals are very unique early moto-bike pedals / late quill style pedals (?) No saddle or seat post. Fenders are straight, fit tightly and were not removed to ship. Very pleased overall with my initial inspection and will start posting some photos tonight and over the weekend.

Last edited:
Barn fresh
image.jpg

Drive side
image.jpg

Smells like dirt
image.jpg

Heavy spokes riveted fender brackets
image.jpg

Wood wheels w/ metal outer surface (?)
image.jpg

image.jpg

None drive side
image.jpg

Model A ND
image.jpg

Metal edge on wheel
image.jpg

Last edited:
I managed through the first 24 hours without touching it with with anything to do with a cleaner.

The bars stick out as out of place, although they've been there a long time, the fixed position quilled stem is most definitely from the previous era (up to 1900?).

The wheels are really interesting. I've been told these are the same wheels that were used on the Chief? The wood's been painted white, with the metal cladding around the outside edge.

The crank appears to be cotered on one side. Does anyone have a schematic of this type of Pope crank?

There a little things I find that suggest an older time, the locking nut on the headset, round w a spanner hole, inconvenient, but interesting. I found something I haven't seen on a skip tooth chain before, it took me a while to find the master link because it does not have a master link w/ a removable plate, it has a master link like a block chain, a link with a screw going through it.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back