When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pope....Ideal and Standard Bicycles Bought in a Bundle of Bikes today....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks rustyspoke66. The lugging on the first bike is incredible. The only marking on the entire bike is Pope Manufacturing. I sure wish it had the headbadge.....

I think it's probably just a little later, G&J sold their bicycles to American Bicycle Company in 1900 with Pope ending up in control in 1904 so if you see Pope on it, it is probably a circa 1904 Rambler (formerly G&J bike). Here's a 1900 Rambler with that chainring as well. That rear ND Duplex Corbin hub is also circa 1905ish I believe.

BILD0068.jpg

BILD0068.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's probably just a little later, G&J sold their bicycles to American Bicycle Company in 1900 with Pope ending up in control in 1904 so if you see Pope on it, it is probably a circa 1904 Rambler (formerly G&J bike). Here's a 1900 Rambler with that chainring as well. That rear ND Duplex Corbin hub is also circa 1905ish I believe.

View attachment 69485

Thanks for the info Gary....much appreciated! I suppose finding a badge for this thing is going to be tough!!!

Gary Mc is right. That timetable seems to all fit quite well. These are

all incredibly interesting machines. The gold and black one looks to be

a circus, stage/trick, or Vaudeville bike.

View attachment 69485

That makes perfect sense.

If it says Pope it is G & J made by American Bicycle Company after the big Pope Merger I think. They created a big bicycle trust and most of the majors were part of it I think, It fell apart rather quickly..

Back