When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pork Chop Drum Fitted To A ‘40 DX with Ashtabula Fork.

-

Mack the fork

Look Ma, No Hands!
I was hoping to find a Schwinn script high flange hub to mate to my ‘40 DX project.

Having grown impatient with the search for a Schwinn high flang hub, I’ve changed course with the unexpected acquisition of a Pork Chop/ High Flange front drum set up.

The problem is that the Pork Chop axle is a larger diameter than the dropouts on the ashtabula fork ( 3/8”) , and the
Brake arm clamp is designed for a round, tubular springer fork leg , not an ashtabula blade type leg .

Now, I understand that these are not insurmountable modifications.
However , if someone has already done this, I’d like to hear about any tricks to get everything properly aligned and fabricated.

I was thinking of using a hydraulic press to press and pinch a piece of thin bar stock that’s been wrapped around the fork blade; to get a tight, form fit. Then file and drill it to its final shape.

As far as drilling and filing the fork dropouts to accept the larger axle; what method(s) have you Cabers used to ensure symmetry and correct orientation of the axle and wheel ?

Use a coaster brake clamp for the clamp, and just dremel out the dropouts a touch wider than the axle so the have room to seat right. You don’t need to go crazy with the clamp cause the brake won’t be very strong anyways lol

I have some experience with this. The fork legs can be easily clearanced with a rotory type tool or file. I used a die grinder with a carbide bit. It doesn't need much removed. As far as the clamp, I didn't have any luck modifying the springer style round one because of the thickness. I ended up using some vintage wald basket clamps and slowly shaped them to my fork. I lined it with dense foam to protect the fork paint. I know other cabers have made them from scratch with sheetmetal.

Use a coaster brake clamp for the clamp, and just dremel out the dropouts a touch wider than the axle so the have room to seat right. You don’t need to go crazy with the clamp cause the brake won’t be very strong anyways lol
Thanks Cooper!

If you don’t want to file the dropouts bigger use can actually file a flat spot on each side of the axle where it sits in the dropouts. The threads will still work. I’ve seen stock axles like that.

Back