When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible Pierce Racer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Innocentbikestander

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Not sure what I have.No dropouts in front and rear dropout faces to the rear.The bike is very light weight.There are 3 holes on the headtube but it looks like a decal may have been removed from there also.There is a serial number stamped at the very bottom of the head tube.Has the fork plugs that Pierced used but they are not marked and I thought Pierce marked their plugs.I haven't messed with it.Haven't cleaned it so I'm not sure if the hubs are marked or notI believe it's olive green and it has the gold box style pinstripes.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
018.JPG
.Any help would be appreciated.

I like it because whatever it is it looks like a tall frame that might fit me.....

Give it a clean when you can, see if those hubs have any markings. I'm thinking English, possibly French.

I would not rule out the possibility of it being a Pierce. If you look at all the literature in the Pierce serial number thread it shows photos of later Pierce racing bicycles, made after the original Buffalo Pierce company was ditched, which have BSA crankshafts and English-like construction with the lugged frames etc..

At this point there does not seem to be any good information or any authority on Pierce bicycles, so I would not listen to what anyone says and just stick to the factory and period literature that is available for information and do your own research.

As far as being a "racer" goes, it seems a lot of low-end bikes were equipped like this too. The Pierce I am currently taking care of is equipped just like your bike, with a fixed-gear, non-coaster rear hub, dropouts with the rear-facing slot, and handlebars which can be flipped up or down depending on the rider's preference. In the later 20th century the only bikes built like this were "track" bikes, but in the early 1900s it seems to have simply been the way to make a cheap low-end bike, the more expensive ones added options like coaster hubs, brakes, suspension, shaft-drive etc..

Personally I really like the old simple bikes like this that do not have all the bells and whistles, it makes them light and easy to work on. Also it is fun getting a taste of what it was like to ride the average bike 100 or more years ago. My main motivation for fixing the Pierce up which I found is just to experience riding it a bit with it's fixed gear and old frame geometry etc.. and it is fun looking at how they built things back then compared to now, and lastly I am a history buff so it is always nice to dig up little bits of information on old things that are laying around here. Good luck.

He states there are 3 holes for a head badge. This would help explain a little bit anyway to see if a Pierce badge would match up. Please
show a photo of what the hole configuration looks like on the head tube.

Most racers had 6-1/2" crank arms. Although many roadsters had the same but rarely did racers have a 7" arm. Measure the crank arms.

I had someone recently offer a bike saying it was 1896 and a "Racer". It had the head badge on it so we knew what it was. I checked my
catalogue racer information for that bike from 1896 to about 1901. All the racers came in at 18lbs. I asked him to weigh the bike as it would
have been done for the catalogue and he came back with the bike weighing in at 26lbs. Maybe it wasn't a racer after all.

I would weigh this bike just the way it is without tires. I would measure the crank arms too. I would see if a Pierce badge matches up. This
would help explain a couple of things anyway. Process of elimination..!!! I think it's a nice looking bike and sure looks like an old racer.

Back