When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible Schwinn Heavy duty

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
From the picture you posted, the bike looks to be a mid to late 80's bike because of the tube fork, and rim style.

Better pics of the whole bike would help identify it further than that................!

Here is an 86 catalog pic, and I believe we can see the grease fitting on the head tube in this pic. And the grease fittings are mention in the description in the pic also.

View attachment 1358167
Yes, that's the one! The wheels have been replaced, I was told. I would like to get a set of heavy duty rims, or get a set built. The only thing I really want , is a old two speed rear hub. Anyone know of anyone who can build a set?

Going by Schwinn's earlier serial numbers "LV" would be November 1984. It makes me wonder if this is one of the last Murray-built bikes, except those serials were always on the head tube as far as I know.

Yes , We have identified my bike as a '87 Heavy Duty. Now I want to replace the light weight wheels with proper HD wheels. I was told they can be built with

proper spokes and rims. I would like to put a two speed in the rear hub. I remember Bendix and another company making them. Any one know which is best and available? Is there anyone out there who can build a set?

There are a few different 2 speeds , there is the New departure 2 speed ,Bendix 2 speed manual ,bendix red,yellow and blue band automatic (where you slightly pedal backwards and it switches between high and low each time. I believe Sturmey archer make a modern version kick back as well. You need to make sure the hub you have or buy is able to take the heavy duty spokes. Some hubs can only accept smaller gauge spokes. Post your need in wanted section, someone may have a set of wheels already set up. Welcome and good luck with your build.

Reactions: wbh
There are a few different 2 speeds , there is the New departure 2 speed ,Bendix 2 speed manual ,bendix red,yellow and blue band automatic (where you slightly pedal backwards and it switches between high and low each time. I believe Sturmey archer make a modern version kick back as well. You need to make sure the hub you have or buy is able to take the heavy duty spokes. Some hubs can only accept smaller gauge spokes. Post your need in wanted section, someone may have a set of wheels already set up. Welcome and good luck with your build.
Thank you! I guess that is what I am going to have to start looking for. Is there anyone out there who knows of a shop who could build a set of HD wheels? I know this is silly, as I found the bike in a dumpster! Any recomendations would be great. I live in Az.

Back