When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible WW2 Miltary Wheel Heavy Duty

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Is anyone familiar with this distinct wheel / hub combo?

The rim is pretty rough but all heavily "blacked"
The hub has been re-enforced on the inside of the shell with what looks like tack welds, the outer surface of the shell has these interesting "tool" marks I guess?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Jesse

wheel1.jpg

hub4.jpg

hub3.jpg

hub2.jpg

hub1.jpg

Might be from a military stretcher carrier. They used 2 heavy duty 26 inch front bicycle wheels. I had one but donated it to a military museum.

Is anyone familiar with this distinct wheel / hub combo?

The rim is pretty rough but all heavily "blacked"
The hub has been re-enforced on the inside of the shell with what looks like tack welds, the outer surface of the shell has these interesting "tool" marks I guess?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Jesse

View attachment 1068051

View attachment 1068052

View attachment 1068053

View attachment 1068054

View attachment 1068055

Jesse,
What size wheel is it ? Thank you.

Apologies for whatever reason I wasn't getting notified of this post getting any traction!

SO!
It is a 26" wheel
One factor that implied its possible military origins was the fact that it had a Centipede grip tire mounted when purchased, one that is often seen on WW2 era ballooners apparently.

Distinct from most wheels that I've seen that are meant for carts or sulkys, this hub has traditional axle / dropout mounting hardware on either side of the hub making me think it is for a traditional fork.

I could see it being for a cargo bike like a worskman, they often had sorta crude but heavy duty features like the visible tack welds.
The hub is distcint though, those tool marks are def. something that can be matched to a known specimen, just gotta get lucky!

It's amazing what turns up out of the blue. I think the Centipede tire is significant in the identification (best guess) of this wheel. Gives it an era at least.

Back