When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post War Schwinn w/ Gears

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dhoeffn

Look Ma, No Hands!
Bought this at an auction for resale and can not find any of these that had gears on them. I see similar bikes, but again none with gears. Is it possible the gears were added at a later date? I was told the seat was not original as well.

There is a registration on it for 1941 so I assume the bike is at least that or earlier.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

DSCN9945.JPG
DSCN9946.JPG
DSCN9947.JPG
DSCN9948.JPG
DSCN9949.JPG
DSCN9950.JPG
DSCN9951.JPG
DSCN9952.JPG
DSCN9954.JPG
DSCN9955.JPG
DSCN9956.JPG
DSCN9958.JPG
DSCN9959.JPG
DSCN9960.JPG
DSCN9962.JPG

Post war,assembled from some mix and match parts,date might be on the rear hub,serial number should be on the left rear drop out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That sticker says "Mayor since Jan. 6, 1942"
Doesn't appear to be a registration for '42. If the dropout was cleaned off on the left rear, you'd be able to read the serial number - it is covered up in grime at the moment. Keith has a valid point.

REC

ah yeah I see that now. thanks I will clean that off and see the serial #, but again if its mix and match then maybe that won't be very accurate anyways. Thanks!

ah yeah I see that now. thanks I will clean that off and see the serial #, but again if its mix and match then maybe that won't be very accurate anyways. Thanks!
The serial will tell the year,mismatch parts won't change that.i see a stamped stem also,which is post war.the rear hub looks to be a Schwinn approved,which is late 50's.

I agree with Brian, likely a late 50's. Winged headbadge, that Schwinn Approved 3 speed hub and shifter, peaked front fender. Racer or Traveler would be my guess.
Jay

I agree with Brian, likely a late 50's. Winged headbadge, that Schwinn Approved 3 speed hub and shifter, peaked front fender. Racer or Traveler would be my guess.
Jay
If the stainless fenders are original, then that would be a Traveler, I believe. But with a forged fork, you're right, late fifties. Earlier Travelers had tubular forks.

And that shift trigger is a real odd-ball. I've seen a few in pictures, but I've never had my hands on one.

I have a 1960 Racer with that fork. mine also has the standard oval badge. I believe 1958 was the last year for the tubular fork. not sure about the last year for the winged badge. my guess is 1959

Back